A shell of a problem

Hi

Here in South America where we live we can't get oyster shells. So we just toast the shells of the eggs we use and feed it back. The trick is to get them quite brown so they don't get used of the taste and grind it up fine. It works as a source of cheap calcium for us.

Hi

Here in South America where we live we can't get oyster shells. So we just toast the shells of the eggs we use and feed it back. The trick is to get them quite brown so they don't get used of the taste and grind it up fine. It works as a source of cheap calcium for us.

We've done that as well, and the chickens love it.
smile.png

Keep in mind tho, that egg shells pass thru the system way too quickly for much calcium to be absorbed from them.
The thicker oyster shells stay in the gizzard for much longer and are a better source of calcium than the egg shells.

Okay, so what would you suggest. We have tried ground bone meal, but the prices of meat soared, and it is unpractical for us to buy them now. We are land locked, and its hard to get calcium.

Quote:
Much of the US is landlocked too....but oyster shell seems readily available wherever you buy chicken feed.

I may be incredibly naive on this as I know nothing about SA......what city / country are you in?

What kind of feed do you use and where do you get it?

Last edited:
Much of the US is landlocked too....but oyster shell seems readily available wherever you buy chicken feed.

I may be incredibly naive on this as I know nothing about SA......what city / country are you in?

What kind of feed do you use and where do you get it?

Well, South America you can't get oyster shells as the countries around us are other nations. We reside in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. We try to do 100% organic, but we can't always. We try just feeding corn and Milo to our chickens. But it is common that it gets sprayed with a whole bunch of chemicals. We get our feed at a local drop off point that the farmers can leave their corn and other things and then they buy it and distribute it.

Back
Top Bottom