A sick hen? What do?

Featheryyards

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
So I am quite new to the chicken scene. I have raised ducks for almost 4 years but about 1/2 a year ago a few chickens kinda got dropped in my lap. We (my mom and I) have had issues with them since rescuing them. This particular hen is a miniature chicken. I’ve taken her to the doctor before and they said her lungs and all sound fine. But this is becoming a recurring issue. She gurgles and sneezes and wheezes when she breaths. I’ve treated her before for respiratory issues (doctor prescribed meds) and also gape worm (doctors gave medication) and those worked fine. But the symptoms come, get bad, then go away out of nowhere. This keeps coming and going so I don’t know how to treat it. The vet bills get expensive (at least $150) and I can’t afford to bring her in almost once every two months only to be told nothing sounds wrong. Does anyone have any help? Whether it’s just over counter medication recommendations or tips and tricks to figure out what’s wrong I would appreciate it. If I means anything she has just had three chicks. (Hatched in December last year) and they are all healthy.
9788608D-753B-4ADC-B1AD-981C8DBE02E0.jpeg
3C671975-7F11-4360-8F9B-9A4C0FC1A72D.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve treated her before for respiratory issues (doctor prescribed meds) and also gape worm (doctors gave medication) and those worked fine. But the symptoms come, get bad, then go away out of nowhere. This keeps coming and going so I don’t know how to treat it.
Can you please get a video of what she sounds like?

You give her medications that the vet prescribes, she gets better, but the symptoms return?
What are the medications - name of both.

How is she housed?

You give her medications that the vet prescribes, she gets better, but the symptoms return?

How is she housed?
I can do my best to get a video tomorrow when she wakes up. I will have to see if I can get a record for the name of the first medication. From what I remember it was a yellow liquid fed to her. The other one I still have the packaging so I’ll take a picture to send. I’m not to sure what you mean by housed but she is currently kept in my house in my room at a steady tempature if that helps any. The only other chickens she has been around are her chicks.

So I am quite new to the chicken scene. I have raised ducks for almost 4 years but about 1/2 a year ago a few chickens kinda got dropped in my lap. We (my mom and I) have had issues with them since rescuing them. This particular hen is a miniature chicken. I’ve taken her to the doctor before and they said her lungs and all sound fine. But this is becoming a recurring issue. She gurgles and sneezes and wheezes when she breaths. I’ve treated her before for respiratory issues (doctor prescribed meds) and also gape worm (doctors gave medication) and those worked fine. But the symptoms come, get bad, then go away out of nowhere. This keeps coming and going so I don’t know how to treat it. The vet bills get expensive (at least $150) and I can’t afford to bring her in almost once every two months only to be told nothing sounds wrong. Does anyone have any help? Whether it’s just over counter medication recommendations or tips and tricks to figure out what’s wrong I would appreciate it. If I means anything she has just had three chicks. (Hatched in December last year) and they are all healthy.
So I managed to get a picture of her rn. She woke up to get some water and walk around a bit. I have more info on her. She is eating like normal and walking around plenty. She is also pooping normal. I fed her some coconut oil since I read on the link that that is safe to feed them to help possible impacted crop.

How is she housed?
I have a video but I don’t know how to attach it. When I try to attach it, it only lets me attach photos.

I don’t know much about this, but my baby chicks had a respitory thing. I gave the, tetracycline via nebulizer (there’s videos on YouTube) and it’ll tell you everything. They’re fantastic now❤️ almost perfect🤣

Back
Top Bottom