A silly question about mule ducks

Pics

Henschickspups

Songster
Apr 3, 2023
I currently have a single muscovy or muscovy mix in the incubator. I know if he hatches, he will need some friends.

Since muscovy are a different species than mallard derived, and therefore don't necessarily speak the same language, so it's better to have muscovy friends for muscovies, mallard derived friends for mallard derived ducklings - who is the best choice of friend for a mule duck?

Hi so I don't know where you're located in the world but just in case we're in different places, in the US when a Muscovy drake mates with a Mallard-derived hen they're called mules. When a Mallard-derived drake mates with a Muscovy hen their offspring are called hinnies.

Do you know if you have a mule specifically or just a crossbred Muscovy and you're not sure which was the hen and which one was the Drake?

I personally have hinnies, my Silver Appleyard drake mates with my Muscovy hen and I have 3 of their first brood born on 01/15/2023. The offspring are two males and one female and all of them speak the language of the Muscovy. They also followed the body size and development of the Muscovy side. My males are double the size of my female and the males are bigger than their Dad.

20230509_133154.jpg

Brother and Sister together

20230508_114120.jpg

Dad with his three offspring

20230512_094316.jpg

Here's Mom with their second brood born 05/11/2023.

I have no idea if it's a mule. I was told muscovy, and the gentleman who gave me the egg (to eat) also has mallard derived ducks I believe.

It's just a silly question I thought of while trying to find friends for my little ducky that could.

Attachments

• 16839877839905160174822815140697.jpg
    16839877839905160174822815140697.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 11
I did not know that! I honestly have no idea what it is. I would assume at least a muscovy hen. Probably a muscovy drake too. But it is good to know I can just grab this little guy some muscovy friends if we make it to hatch, and they'll be able to gossip among themselves!

Is there a rough estimate to how many days early they hatch? Right now 35 days puts us at May 30th. With the uncertainty, I was planning to take the turner out May 28th, and then hand turn for the last few days.

Hi so I don't know where you're located in the world but just in case we're in different places, in the US when a Muscovy drake mates with a Mallard-derived hen they're called mules. When a Mallard-derived drake mates with a Muscovy hen their offspring are called hinnies.

Do you know if you have a mule specifically or just a crossbred Muscovy and you're not sure which was the hen and which one was the Drake?

I personally have hinnies, my Silver Appleyard drake mates with my Muscovy hen and I have 3 of their first brood born on 01/15/2023. The offspring are two males and one female and all of them speak the language of the Muscovy. They also followed the body size and development of the Muscovy side. My males are double the size of my female and the males are bigger than their Dad.

View attachment 3503490
Brother and Sister together

View attachment 3503492
Dad with his three offspring

View attachment 3503493
Here's Mom with their second brood born 05/11/2023.
Great photos of your family!! And to think you were such a cautious new duck Mom so recently. Duck math has really taken hold!

Back
Top Bottom