A small victory for the meaties (DH doesn't understand :( )

Quote:
The thought had crossed my mind. As you probably know, I have pleaded, begged and prayed for a broody for going on three years. Wouldn't it be a hoot if the only broody I get is a cornish X? Man, she could cover alot of eggs!
lol.png

I doubt that would ever happen. I'm just happy that they are happy. I knew y'all would understand.
smile.png

years ago . when i try keeping some for layer, did have one go broody. Now those eggs cost alot in feed. Just like some white rock go broody, can happen with the cross.

All I know is she's very possessive of that nestbox. The other chickens have been messing with it, kicking the hay and golf balls around. As soon as they leave the box or get chased out by her, she goes back in and re-arranges it back to her liking.

Since I was thinking about keeping one of the broilers I decide I would go ahead and put her in with the pullets. That didn't go good at all. Pecking, fighting and just down right nasty behavior by all of them. They have been housed side by side for the 12 weeks they have been alive. The only thing separating them is chicken wire. Lots of times they lay side by side with only the wire between them. I was somewhat surprised that they fought like that . Needless to say I took the broiler back out before harm could be done. What are my options for mixing her in?

Quote:
mixxing her in... to a stew? oh theres tons of options
gig.gif

but i dunno really its hard to put one bird with a flock your gonna have to take your time and hope for the best

Quote:
lol.png
DS just can't get why the boy Alpacas get sold off faster than the girls do in most cases. Poor guy, he will get it later. . .we need the girls and only a good boy or two. . .life just ain't fair sometimes is it?
tongue.png

Quote:
If you can be out there with them at first light, try putting her in with them after dark. Chickens can be very dense and sometimes they'll wake up with a new flock mate and never even notice.
I'm sorry that's about the only suggestion I have for you.
When I received all these meaties (there were 19 to start) I just put them in with my layer chicks of the same age (3 w.o.) and never had a bit of trouble; except making sure there was enough feeders for everyone.
Good luck.
smile.png

Quote:
Take one or two of your lower pecking order girls and put them with your "new" girl. Give them a couple/three days to bond. Then - I have found it best when free ranging - let all the birds out together. You can give them a day or two of free ranging time and then on the third night, lock them all in the main coop.

Quote:
Take one or two of your lower pecking order girls and put them with your "new" girl. Give them a couple/three days to bond. Then - I have found it best when free ranging - let all the birds out together. You can give them a day or two of free ranging time and then on the third night, lock them all in the main coop.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom