A source of heat for my hens and ducks.

Well I plan on making like a pop up door with hinges at the top.. Out of wood so it will block most most of the window from the wind and everything if you think that will help?

I can put plastic over it (my hens like to eat plastic..
roll.png
so it might not be to good idea. lol)

Quote:
So i should probably take that roost out and put up a different one? Maybe one in the back?

I would take that out and put it in the back. How low do your temps get in winter? Hopefully someone else pipes in to gopive you another voice as well.

It can drop all the way to -5 in the winters here depending on how wet a summer we have... Hopefully it wont get that low since our summer was REALLY dry this year.. But I guess you never really know..

Quote:
I was thinking a heavy clear plastic. Mostly for the light benefit. We bought a panel of clear paneling from a home improvement store (was a bit $ but it lets in light where the wood does not). How is the ventilation minus the window?

I don't think of New Mexico as -5 in the winter
smile.png
. I think south means warmth. I am hoping that I did all of our wintering as we are in the first real snow of the season.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was thinking a heavy clear plastic. Mostly for the light benefit. We bought a panel of clear paneling from a home improvement store (was a bit $ but it lets in light where the wood does not). How is the ventilation minus the window?

smile.png
. I think south means warmth. I am hoping that I did all of our wintering as we are in the first real snow of the season.

Yeah south is warm in the summer lol.... Our summer heats got up to 110 degrees. LOL But it the winter it can and will drop to at least -5
smile.png
I have lived here all my life and one year it snowed about 2ft in MARCH lol its odd weather we have here.
tongue.png

Im kinda on a tight budget.. Lol and the wood is readily available. I will be able to open it during the day close it at night so it will let in light. The door has an open window as well. So it should be well ventilated.
Im going to put in a pop door hopefully on the opening to the run. Open it in the morning and close it at night. Same with the window roost. And if I have to will try an get some clear plastic... But with christmas its been a bit difficult lol I have lots of family so
tongue.png

Quote:

smile.png

Yeah south is warm in the summer lol.... Our summer heats got up to 110 degrees. LOL But it the winter it can and will drop to at least -5
smile.png
I have lived here all my life and one year it snowed about 2ft in MARCH lol its odd weather we have here.
tongue.png

Im kinda on a tight budget.. Lol and the wood is readily available. I will be able to open it during the day close it at night so it will let in light. The door has an open window as well. So it should be well ventilated.
Im going to put in a pop door hopefully on the opening to the run. Open it in the morning and close it at night. Same with the window roost. And if I have to will try an get some clear plastic... But with christmas its been a bit difficult lol I have lots of family so
tongue.png

I totally understand the low budget one of my hard plastic "windows" is a car dealership display and my brooder box is a delivery pallet box that my father saved from the trash pile.

Quote:
smile.png
tongue.png

tongue.png

I totally understand the low budget one of my hard plastic "windows" is a car dealership display and my brooder box is a delivery pallet box that my father saved from the trash pile.

haha yeah the money thing is tight right now.. I might have to go dumpster diving to see what I can find! Lol Im going out to get hinges here in a bit hopefully.
smile.png
(Gotta get more scratch to lol.) So maybe I can see what I can find. Right now I think Im gonna go with the wooden pop door over the window until i can find something better
smile.png
I just built the new door and its not on hinges yet either.
tongue.png
Its taking me some time to get renovations going on this coop. Im doing all by myself and I am by no means a builder so lol its been difficult lol. So im sure I can figure something out.
smile.png
I really appreciate the help and all the tips you have been giving me
smile.png
Im glad I had some one to compare notes with
smile.png
I really do appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom