A source of heat for my hens and ducks.

Mother_Hen2011

Songster
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
New Mexico
Ok so my coop was built about 20 years ago.. So it has no power and its to far back on the property to run a power cord out to it. Last night the temps dropped to about 30 degrees. I only have 3 hens and 2 ducks. The coop itself is large enough to house at the most 15-20 chickens. I'm afraid of them getting to cold at night. I use pine shavings for bedding I was told it helps to hold heat. I'm fixing to build a thing to go across the large open window so I can open and shut it according to what the weather is going to be. I'm also going to be building a pop door for it. My coop is built out of wood and sheet metal or what ever its called lol.

Anyway's, I have put in more roosts away from the window but they like sleep in the window roost. (which is right now covered to block most of the wind and snow and rain and what ever else hits us.) I'm worried they might get to cold and freeze to death...
sad.png
I want to do everything I can to protect them from the weather. This is their first winter and I'm worried.

So is there anything that anyone can suggest that would work to help keep my coop warmer at night? I was looking for a cheap battery operated heat lamp or just anything that would work to keep my ladies warm! I dont want anything to happen to them. So any ideas please feel free to share. If you need pics of the coop just let me know and I will post them.

Thanks in advance for any help or words of wisdom that you all would share with me!

smile.png

If you are really worried I would fix them a smaller space for them to hunker down in. ( as in a corner and make it so they can cuddle in it for warmth. In the barn we still have calf stalls for mine to hunker in) 30 degrees is not too cold, I start to worry when we are below 0 and have a biting wind as the barn has cracks the wind blows through. I try hard not to put in heat as I think it is a fire hazard. As long as it is dry in their house they should be fine.

Quote:
Yes it stays dry. So should I take the roost in the window and hope they use the one thats not close to the window? Lol Or take all the roosts out and just let them cuddle in the floor with the ducks? Lol

Last edited:
I don't think the chickens would like being on the floor after sleeping on a roost
smile.png
I figured you had a dry floor but had to throw it out there.

How close to the window are the roosts?

Quote:
The one roost is right infront of the window...(happens to be the only one they sleep on. --_-- ) Let me show you
tongue.png
easier to explain lol
smile.png

102233_funny_012.jpg

see the board sticking out on the left hand side? thats their fav spot to roost and theres another roost along the left hand side wall as well about a foot away from the window... If that makes sense? lol

Last edited:
Quote:
The one roost is right infront of the window...(happens to be the only one they sleep on. --_-- ) Let me show you
tongue.png
easier to explain lol
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/102233_funny_012.jpg
see the board sticking out on the left hand side? thats their fav spot to roost and theres another roost along the left hand side wall as well about a foot away from the window... If that makes sense? lol

That might be a problem... I had frost bitten combs last year because I moved roosters to a room with a window where they chose to roost above the window. Course that week we did have -30 temps and I think I did not have the humidity correct either.

Quote:
tongue.png
easier to explain lol
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/102233_funny_012.jpg

That might be a problem... I had frost bitten combs last year because I moved roosters to a room with a window where they chose to roost above the window. Course that week we did have -30 temps and I think I did not have the humidity correct either.

So i should probably take that roost out and put up a different one? Maybe one in the back?

Quote:
Looks like any breeze would blow over them. Do you have anything to cover the bottom part of the window. I have clear plastic that I put in the windows for the winter but I also have a ceiling vent in the one part of the barn and lots of cracks so my barn is not tight.

Quote:

So i should probably take that roost out and put up a different one? Maybe one in the back?

I would take that out and put it in the back. How low do your temps get in winter? Hopefully someone else pipes in to gopive you another voice as well.

Back
Top Bottom