A Squeemish Subject: Euthanasia

I wouldn't want to die in a freezer either, which is different than the dry ice method, of course.

If my dad was still around he could have taught me how to use the ax, he used it on chickens when he was a kid.

scratch'n'peck :

I checked out chick4chix post about her use of the dry ice method here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=312959

I
have been doing some research on euthanasia because I have a hen who is an internal layer, and I know her quality of life will eventually deteriorate. My husband works in health care so he is better at using a hypodermic needle than an ax, but I don't know if we would be able to get ACE. Kari_Dawn, can that just be injected into the skin, or does it need to go into a vein? Also, in the dry ice method, was the heating pad just for the bird's comfort?

I have read some descriptions of "gassing" with starter fluid I believe and the chicken keeper found the thrashing disturbing. Does that ever happen with the dry ice method?

With both decapitation and cervical dislocation it seems that some experience is needed to make sure the chicken does not experience pain. Although the broomstick method may be easier.

Yes, the heating pad is merely for added comfort (as are the blankets). It also helps the dry ice vaporize quicker. Actually, birds are very sensitive to drugs. You can do ace orally, and have it be highly effective in birds.

Some animals do thrash when using dry ice...same as with just about every method of death (including decapitation). The animal is rendered unconcious, and unaware of what is going on fairly quickly. It is a bit like carbon monoxide poisoning.

To those people who are experienced with euthanasia, the whole point of this tread was to give people other options, and your somewhat harsh words were exactly what I asked not to happen here. Wether you agree with the methods shared here or not, there is still no reason to be harsh about it. I opened this thread because I had read of several very inhumane methods of euthanasia, several right here on this forum, and realize that some people cannot handle neck breaking, decapitation, and cutting of veins and arteries (hence their attempts at alternative very inhumane methods). I am simply trying to let people know there are other methods, and they are effective, and "humane".

The method I shared, for example, is approved by the American Veterinary Medical Association as a humane method of euthanasia, that unlike many other methods of euthanasia is one that the average person would be able to execute at home. Death is swift and fairly stress free for the animal involved.​

Last edited:
please remember guys, many of the people that make use of this forum view their chickens just as one may view a pet dog or cat, and don't have any easier time visualizing removing it's head than they would as if it WERE a dog or a cat.

Quote:
There's a youtube on it that explains it better. But essentially you put the bird on the ground with a broomstick over their neck. Stand on both sides of the broomstick with your feet (straddling the broomstick) and pull up on the chicken's legs, snapping the neck.

This is the only method I've been able to do, and I've only done it once (thank goddess).

(warning, chicken culling).

Last edited:
Quote:
X-2 as we are farmers and not pet keepers when it comes to our chickens. Yes they are well cared for and the kids treat many as pets for a spell, but they are still working birds for eggs and meat for the family. I have never looked forward to harvesting our hens for meat, but do not dread it either and the above method though somewhat messy is very fast and painless in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP- Thank you for this thread and the dry ice method. This is actually a method I think I can do. 10 years ago (first time keeping chickens) I had to put down 2 mean roosters, I could not do the culling myself even though I was flogged pretty good by one of them. I took both to the vet and had them put to sleep, costing me close to $100.00
barnie.gif

I now have a large flock (chicken math
lol.png
) and I know someday I will have to cull for something. I know I could never attempt the usual methods of chicken killing- it's just not for me. I know everyone says what's best for the bird, just do it bla bla bla but seriously if I can't do it, I can't do it. I need a method that I can be at peace with as well as my poor chicken. I like your dry ice method and it sound peaceful. I know I would sure like a peaceful ending to my life when the time comes. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Trish

Im glad that the thread has been useful to you. It isn't a method I made up, merely one that was taught to me as a wildlife rehabber, and approved by the AVMA as an acceptable method of humane euthanasia. The whole goal of the thread was to offer up different methods for different people. Not all of us can handle decapitation, which seems to be the most widely accepted method here on BYC, and those that can't shouldn't be ridiculed or picked on for not being able to do so.

Vet intervention is another method, but as you said, it is expensive, and personally, I do not like to think about where those drugs go after the animal has been dispatched...it isn't as if they can simply be removed from the body.

If anyone else has different methods not mentioned here, please share them with us. As keepers of animals that most people do not have, we often have to be our own "vets", and this is one of the things many of us will have to face.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but if you want to take off the head, a good sharp pair of pruners will do it, too. You don't have to use an axe or hatchet on a grown bird.

Back
Top Bottom