Real Talk Please/Best Euthanization Method

We had to put my very loved hen down last summer. Unfortunately the traveling vet couldn’t get us in in time.
I held her and my husband tried the cervical dislocation. It was our first time and it didn’t work. The second try worked… and boy was it traumatizing. I cried for months and months after. I wish I would have taken her to another vet to be put down.
Oh goodness I’m sorry. This is my fear!!

Oh goodness I’m sorry. This is my fear!!
I wonder if you might locate someone in your area who'll be butchering chickens soon, and allow you to assist (depending on their method). Maybe ask around for who's raising meat chickens and contact them. Wouldn't hurt to ask - the worst they can say is NO - but if they'd agree, you'd get a chance to practice with someone who's experienced. It will be soooo much easier for you when the time comes that you must cull one of your own.

I wonder if you might locate someone in your area who'll be butchering chickens soon, and allow you to assist (depending on their method). Maybe ask around for who's raising meat chickens and contact them. Wouldn't hurt to ask - the worst they can say is NO - but if they'd agree, you'd get a chance to practice with someone who's experienced. It will be soooo much easier for you when the time comes that you must cull one of your own.
This is actually a good idea! I personally couldn’t do it but my husband could go watch. My handy man actually culls chickens for meat!

I'm on rural acreage with closest veterinarian about 30 miles away. Neither husband nor I have the intestinal fortitude to undertake euthanasia ourselves, since my hens are pure pets. Thankfully there are two vet clinics who've, over the years, professionally sent some of my girls to the Rainbow Bridge. Sometimes planned, sometimes emergency. Traveling in a pet carrier, lined with hay and covered with a towel seems to lessen their stress once we're on the road. The $$ is simply something I've factored into my hen-care equation, just like horses, although they're often way more expensive to properly take care of than you have planned for :hmm

Cervical dislocation is the fastest, painless, and most humane method. Your husband would have no trouble executing this method. https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/
I want to second this. I really like this method and was taught how to do it by a very educated avian vet/friend. It isn’t cruel and there isn’t tons of blood (i had no blood when doing it but i’m sure sometimes there could be a little bit.)

Also, you will notice spasms afterwards when they are no longer alive, they aren’t in pain or anything like that, it’s natural after death, (but please make sure you hold them down tightly so they don’t run after the dislocation, it’s a pretty horrid sight.)

Cervical dislocation is the fastest, painless, and most humane method. Your husband would have no trouble executing this method. https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/
I cannot believe how EASY this method is! Thank you so much to everyone who replied to this thread with recommendations to use this method. It convinced me to try it; and now I will never dispatch chickens any other way. I do believe this IS the most humane and easiest method to dispatch chickens.

I just processed 16 cockerels today, and tried the broomstick method for the first time. Like a couple of the videos showed, it is NOT necessary to pull so hard that you pull the bird's head off. Just a firm pull upwards until you feel the neck give way (it's very obvious when you feel it go). I noticed that as soon as the neck snapped, the bird closed its eyes. And that was that. A bit of flapping, but no blood and no question.

The hardest part was getting my feet onto the broomstick quickly without losing my balance or causing the bird to squirm. I was on soft ground and gravel, not ideal - so I used a pine board to lay the bird's neck across. Next time, I plan to bolt a U-bolt onto the end of the board so I can stick one end of the broomstick into that U-bolt to hold it securely.

I had three other people helping, who had never processed chickens before. All three of them were able to use the broomstick method successfully on the first try.

I want to second this. I really like this method and was taught how to do it by a very educated avian vet/friend. It isn’t cruel and there isn’t tons of blood (i had no blood when doing it but i’m sure sometimes there could be a little bit.)

Also, you will notice spasms afterwards when they are no longer alive, they aren’t in pain or anything like that, it’s natural after death, (but please make sure you hold them down tightly so they don’t run after the dislocation, it’s a pretty horrid sight.)
Are you referring to cervical dislocation or broomstick? I’m getting close to having to euthanize my poor girl 💔

Are you referring to cervical dislocation or broomstick? I’m getting close to having to euthanize my poor girl 💔
As I understand it, cervical dislocation can be done by hand or with a broomstick. Either way, the spinal cord is severed - but by hand requires a bit of strength to manage it. I'm so sorry about your girl.

Back
Top Bottom