Real Talk Please/Best Euthanization Method

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Not sure If this is correct category for this topic but I’d like to hear what you all do for euthanizing your beloved chickens. Let me start by saying my girls are my pets… I love them but also don’t have vet access for when the day comes to end their suffering. I could drive over an hour to a vet but realistically the $ and stress to my chickens (who have never left their yard) would be too much. Also.. my husband would be doing the deed. I feel as if I would find comfort in my girls passing in their yard surrounded by familiar sights and sounds. I didn’t think about any of this when I got my chicks years ago but with some ailing girls it’s a discussion I need to have. What are some tried and true methods you’ve used? I was thinking a .22 or breaking neck but I also worry about the chicken being afraid during process… ugh this is so hard to talk about but I need options for possible near future. 😭💔🐓🙏🏻

I have used the broomstick method, it is sure and it works, once my chicken is in my arms, they are not upset, I grab them by the feet, hang them upside down and they do not panic, place the broom stick, step up and quick it is over in less time than it takes to type this.

HOWEVER, the quicker and surer they die, the more violent the death throws. The death throws are are what upset people, and they are sure they are alive, and they have bungled it. But they haven't, the animal is NOT alive at that time. Know that.

Mrs K

HOWEVER, the quicker and surer they die, the more violent the death throws. The death throws are are what upset people, and they are sure they are alive, and they have bungled it. But they haven't, the animal is NOT alive at that time. Know that.
This is why I prefer to chop the head off. When I can see the head sitting on the ground, separate from the body, I KNOW the chicken is dead, no matter what the body does.

(I am not trying to criticize any other method, just pointing out a specific good point of one method. The "best" method is different for some people than others, because people have different skills and abilities that make some methods easier or harder for them to do properly.)

The only method I've ever done is the broomstick method. It works, it's quick, and neither of my birds were upset prior to the deed.

I pet them, and talk to them while I place them.

I get set up, strong stance, strong grip, gently pull them back so the base of their skull is touching the shovel handle and quickly step on both ends, close my eyes...(idk it's instinctual) and pull.

Both times the head has come completely off...and as stated above...I knew it was quick, I knew it was over...regardless of what the birds reflexes do.

I prefer to KNOW 100%

I've not tried a .22 but am considering it for my next cull.

I've used the cervical dislocation. If you are following the directions, you will be holding the bird in your hands much as you would when you are just holding them for a cuddle. The twist of the neck is non-violent, and it's over before the chicken has a chance to become fearful of what might be happening.

There is a similar method called the broomstick method, and that might cause a chicken to become afraid and upset since they are placed on the ground with the broomstik over their neck. A lot of people use this method since you don't need strong hands for it. I've never used it. This method can result in decapitation and it could be upsetting if you aren't expecting it. Cervical dislocation is non-violent and will not result in decapitation.

Do you have any that at the moment you're thinking are on the decline? I've been I guess "lucky," they haven't really shown that they're living in pain, just typical old chicken behavior and then one morning you go out to the coop and they passed in the night. The 2 times I knew something was wrong, I wrapped them in towels, put in a nest box for the night, got on BYC and did lot's of reading. They were gone in the am. So I guess my only point is to let you know that you might not have to resort to Euthanasia very often (which is absolutely the right thing to do when you know quality of life is bad,) Hugs... 🧡
I actually do have a girl who I’m sure has EYP which ultimately is a death sentence. She has been laying deflated, soft eggs but acting normal thus far. She hasn’t layed a normal egg in over a week which is unlike her. I’ve been down this road before. I’m treating her at home with antibiotics I have but I know at some point I’ll have to make this tough decision. 💔 I had one girl pass over night which as a blessing and another I brought to vet for euthaizstion which thibking back seemed more stressful for her. I’m just planning for future I suppose. I have a flock of 7.. 7 tough choices! 🩵

I use CD for sick birds too.

Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,

Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'

it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

-Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

-Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.

Initially this was my husbands first idea. My only concern with this method is the setting up and the chicken feeling fear during that step.
I have not noticed much difference in setting up to behead a chicken, as compared with anything else I might need to do with the chicken (change a legband, weigh it, move it to a different pen, check a hen's butt for whether she is laying, etc.)

I have had some chickens that panic when I pick them up, and some that are calm and do not seem upset. It just seems to depend on the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom