Dead hen and cervical dislocation for euthanizing

Magda12

Songster
May 25, 2022
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Hey everyone - been a crappy couple of days for me, you can skip this first paragraph if you want the TL;DR. I'll try to be brief. Sunday, came home to a dead hen. I have super healthy chickens, started with 10 almost 2 years ago then hatched 10 this summer. 6 of the hatchlings ended up being cockerels. They are about 4 months old now, very large and crowing. I say this, because I knew I had to get rid of at least 4 of them and I blame myself for waiting too long. We came home and found one of our original hens, one of the biggest ones, dead. I am 100% sure it was one of the roosters (one had bloody feet and there are other reasons), not sure how it happened, but I think they may have bloodied her the day before and then attacked her. I feel absolutely awful about it and now I know it's time to cull some of these roosters. I can tell my hens are stressed too, they're not laying at all.

I have been researching culling methods and have read that CD is the most humane, that is 100% what I am going with. My questions is related to doing it by hand. These are 4 month old mixed breed (barred rock x BR, CW, EE or BO), they're fairly large roosters. I am concerned that I will not be able to apply enough force to sever their skulls effectively. Is this a legit concern? I am a healthy 40 yo female. I could have my husband do it or use the broomstick method, but I will really like to know how to do this by hand and be able to feel what's happening to know it's successful. If there's any chance I could muck it up, though, I'd rather just do the broomstick (I also don't want to accidentally rip off heads with the stick, we're trying to avoid bloody messes).

I know this won't be the last time I will have to do this, so I want to be as confident and connected to the process as possible. I have no attachment to these cockerels and I feel like this would be the best "practice" - I was, however, a little attached to the hen they killed 😠

This may sound insensitive, but can you use the dead hen to "practice" on? Learn how much force it takes, knowing that you can't "botch" it, since she has already passed. That might tell you more about the process, since the bird will be still, and you can feel what is going on.

There are several videos about this method. Sorry, I don't have a link to share.

This may sound insensitive, but can you use the dead hen to "practice" on? Learn how much force it takes, knowing that you can't "botch" it, since she has already passed. That might tell you more about the process, since the bird will be still, and you can feel what is going on.

There are several videos about this method. Sorry, I don't have a link to share.
I thought about this myself and it's a good idea, but we've already disposed of her. I have watched the videos and I feel like I get the concept, it's just the amount of force needed that I'm unsure of. I wish there was a way to "practice". I'm not going to lose any sleep if I botch it, but I also don't want to cause an unnecessary suffering. However, Id rather botch it on these roos and learn what I'm doing, than when I have to do it to my hens eventually.

I'm not going to lose any sleep if I botch it, but I also don't want to cause an unnecessary suffering. However, Id rather botch it on these roos and learn what I'm doing, than when I have to do it to my hens eventually.
Very healthy mind set, IMO.

If/when I have another chicken pass, I think I will practice on him/her. As you said, a good skill to know for when it's needed.

Until you have experience with CD, I don’t recommend trying it with cockerels that large. It does take more force than you expect.

The secret with the broomstick method to reduce the risk of beheading is to dig a groove in the dirt to guide the placement of the head and neck that will help concentrate the force on the neck joint and not have all your weight pressing the neck flat on the ground.

Use the broomstick method and a lot of muscle and worry about finesse later. It’s easier to clean a bloody mess than to have to re-do a hand CD on a panicking chicken.

Until you have experience with CD, I don’t recommend trying it with cockerels that large. It does take more force than you expect.

The secret with the broomstick method to reduce the risk of beheading is to dig a groove in the dirt to guide the placement of the head and neck that will help concentrate the force on the neck joint and not have all your weight pressing the neck flat on the ground.

Use the broomstick method and a lot of muscle and worry about finesse later. It’s easier to clean a bloody mess than to have to re-do a hand CD on a panicking chicken.
Thank you. This is exactly what I needed.

If you do go w the “broomstick” method, I would absolutely have a VERY sharp knife and a sharp hatchet on hand.

I personally use a cervical dislocator, I made it myself w a piece of cold rolled steel, a bench vice, a regular propane torch (just the type that screws onto the little green propane bottles), a hammer, a small piece of plywood, and a couple of 2x6 scraps.
Roughly modeled after a Hopper Popper

I’ve used it for everything from a young (~6 week) duckling that had to be euthanized, to my 40+# adult heritage Tom turkeys. Adult ducks, meat rabbits....

It is IMO the most humane way for all of them. There is no pinning them to the ground, there is nothing but scooping them up, covering their eyes if they are scared, walking them over to where it is mounted on the wall, (I always say a short prayer of thanks... obviously optional) lift the head up and into the “V”, back facing you.
You already have a hold of the hind feet, so your other hand slides under the beak, and you pull back and down, very firmly.
I usually keep a hold of the beak and pull back and down straight first, then to the (back and) left and right just to be certain the deed is done.

Then I let go of the legs, touch the inside corner of the eye to be 100% certain they are gone, and hold the beak while I stand back for any wing flapping. There is usually very little, maybe 30 seconds, with this method.

Then I take them down, hang by the legs, remove the head so they can bleed out into a bucket, and get to work on the next steps.

My setup is not fancy... But it works very well. And I’m also a woman in my 40s, and the guys don’t help me w dispatch or processing... just eating 😂. I always feel like the “little red hen” 🤣
I hate processing days, but I love knowing that I’m able to feed my family from my small farm....

I only intended this one to be my prototype to make sure I had the “v” the way I wanted it/ it would work for the myriad of applications I use it for.... but it works great and I haven’t made time to make one that ...looks better. Oh well.

Attachments

• AB590BA5-83A7-4435-8028-6DE65E55265C.jpeg
    AB590BA5-83A7-4435-8028-6DE65E55265C.jpeg
    592.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 5CB0A80A-7B8B-401A-A929-DCB0F60D2C6B.jpeg
    5CB0A80A-7B8B-401A-A929-DCB0F60D2C6B.jpeg
    598.8 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom