Keep urban backyard chickens in my fenced yard

bunnochick

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2024
Hiya! Excited to join the community. I live in an urban area and have 3 Easter eggers (no idea the breed tbh-got them from an animal shelter). Our yard is fully enclosed with a 6' privacy fence, but I'm still worried about them flying up and getting out of the yard. I'm open to clipping their wings but their run is under the coop and I'd be concerned about them not being able to jump up into their coop at night and also getting onto their roost.

Growing up, we used to keep geese out of our yard by stringing fishing line along the shore line with little fabric pieces tied to it. Would this work above my fence to keep the girls in? Mostly I'm looking for an un-obstructive method to keep them in the yard. It's pretty small and I'd like to avoid putting netting above the entirety of my yard.

Thanks for your advice!

Hiya! Excited to join the community. I live in an urban area and have 3 Easter eggers (no idea the breed tbh-got them from an animal shelter). Our yard is fully enclosed with a 6' privacy fence, but I'm still worried about them flying up and getting out of the yard. I'm open to clipping their wings but their run is under the coop and I'd be concerned about them not being able to jump up into their coop at night and also getting onto their roost.

Growing up, we used to keep geese out of our yard by stringing fishing line along the shore line with little fabric pieces tied to it. Would this work above my fence to keep the girls in? Mostly I'm looking for an un-obstructive method to keep them in the yard. It's pretty small and I'd like to avoid putting netting above the entirety of my yard.

Thanks for your advice!
Welcome to this awesome community! You’ll find advice here for many problems from many different angles, too.

Our chickens have never tried to escape over our 6 foot wooden fence, but the chain link fence they can see through? Well the grass always looks greener in the neighbor’s yard! We successfully have gotten them to not roost and not try to scale the fence with persistence.

I have seen where light chickens have no issues flying over tall fences, but I don’t have Easter eggers myself, so not sure if they qualify as light. Maybe just watch them a while and see how they do.

Hi and :welcome! I don't have any fences that tall, but my rooster (who is very light) easily flies up onto six foot structures. I also have a Cream Legbar (a fairly light bird) and while she regularly flies over four foot fences, she's never tried to fly up onto the structures.

I would be worried about what can get inside by going under the fence.

If your chickens have a high place, like 5 feet off the ground, they would be more likely to go up there to roost, or if they feel threatened. They will come to see it as a safe place.

I would be worried about what can get inside by going under the fence.

If your chickens have a high place, like 5 feet off the ground, they would be more likely to go up there to roost, or if they feel threatened. They will come to see it as a safe place.
We actually have a pool in the middle of our yard that has a fence around it, probably 5 ft high?

Welcome to this awesome community! You’ll find advice here for many problems from many different angles, too.

Our chickens have never tried to escape over our 6 foot wooden fence, but the chain link fence they can see through? Well the grass always looks greener in the neighbor’s yard! We successfully have gotten them to not roost and not try to scale the fence with persistence.

I have seen where light chickens have no issues flying over tall fences, but I don’t have Easter eggers myself, so not sure if they qualify as light. Maybe just watch them a while and see how they do.
Thanks! Appreciate your experience and advice.

Back
Top Bottom