Chicken Escape Artists!

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
I'm trying/wanting to keep my chickens into their pens so that they don't go wandering into the neighbors fields and causing all kinds of destruction on to my landscaping. They are digging up bushes, landscape stones, pooping on the porch for me to step in with my nice shoes that I go to the store in.... I have a 4 foot fence and a 5 1/2 foot gate. About 1/4 of my flock doesn't get out by simply flying over the 4 foot fence.
Just wait until you hear this; please let me know if your chickens do this! But...

My chickens jump on their ladder that is about a foot and a half high and fly/jump on top of the coop roof that is probably at least 8 feet high. I can't believe they do this! Then they fly off the roof! lol

I don't understand why they feel they need to get out and do all that when they have everything that is in their run that is in my yard if not more.
So my question is - My fencing needs repaired and I'm taking out the 4 foot fence and replacing it with 6 foot fence. I'm also planning on moving the ladder that is helping them escape from the roof.
If I do these things....

A. Will the fencing fit together?

and....

B. Will it help to keep the chickens in if I do these things?

If they're young or lightweight birds they'll clear 6' without issue as well. Either need to clip the wings, cover the pens, or maybe try putting up some floppy fencing on top of the actual fence to make it difficult for them to land and springboard over.

Back
Top Bottom