How to convince your chickens to stay in their yard.

Crazychickenlady7

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2023
If you do not set up strict boundaries with your chickens physically and expectations-wise they will be up to no good. For example, my girls learned to fly at about 10 weeks and took full advantage of flying over their fence and running amuck in the neighborhood. My quick fix for this was to clip one wing, it doesn't hurt them, you just cut an inch and a half off of the first five fully-grown flight feathers. I had to do this a couple of times because after a molt they realized they could fly straight again and escaped but after the second cut they became uninterested in leaving (if you don't count the gate being open). If you let them fly off and come and go as they please throughout their "teenage phase" they will not follow the expectation that they are supposed to stay in their yard as adults.

If you do not set up strict boundaries with your chickens physically and expectations-wise they will be up to no good.
I had a chat with my last batch of chicks when they were 5 weeks old. I told them they were going out to the coop and run, and I expected them to be well behaved young pullets. They climbed all over my lap, saying, "Peeep, peep, peeeeep. Peep-peep-peep-peep." I interpreted this to mean, "Yes, momma, we will be your good little chicks."

Shortly after moving day, I got a bunch of attitude. You can see it in Pip's posture.
LTKZ6064.JPG

I have had to keep them all in their run and not let them out. They have said that the temptation would be too great, and BOOM! they'd be gone. See ya later mom, we'll be back when we're hungry. We don't care that there are raccoons, dogs, cats, and hawks. We will be free.

At least they were honest.

Sorry, I couldn't resist posting this.

I had a chat with my last batch of chicks when they were 5 weeks old. I told them they were going out to the coop and run, and I expected them to be well behaved young pullets. They climbed all over my lap, saying, "Peeep, peep, peeeeep. Peep-peep-peep-peep." I interpreted this to mean, "Yes, momma, we will be your good little chicks."

Shortly after moving day, I got a bunch of attitude. You can see it in Pip's posture.
View attachment 3736553
I have had to keep them all in their run and not let them out. They have said that the temptation would be too great, and BOOM! they'd be gone. See ya later mom, we'll be back when we're hungry. We don't care that there are raccoons, dogs, cats, and hawks. We will be free.

At least they were honest.

Sorry, I couldn't resist posting this.
I've tried the 'Team Meetings' also. They seemed to really get it....right up to the point where I turn around. 🙂

They are somewhat trainable. My flocks favourite place to hang out was the patio & flower bed in front of the house, the only place on several acres that is off-limits. A lot of clapping and disturbing them when they headed there eventually (several months) has worked. The teens are stretching the limits and yesterday srarted walking the lane to the road. A lot of big scary noises seem to divert them back to the flock. That and shaking the treat bucket full of snacks! 😂
But I wouldn't trust the little darlings for minute, they really do what they want & patronize me cause they are afraid I'll withhold the treats 😅

Back
Top Bottom