Re-introduction of chickens

MariaChickenMama

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2022
I have a few chickens that have been isolated for a month or so. Well actually I have two chickens that have been isolated since October. And another two chickens have been isolated since the beginning of the year. One of these chickens was broody, and the other chicken hurt her foot. The one that hurt her foot was better and I accidentally had her door open for a little bit and she jumped out and got into a squabble with some other chicks so then her leg got hurt again so I'm not gonna get her back in with everybody, but the two that have been isolated since October… How do I re-introduce them with everybody? They're actually in a crate together out in our shed. Unfortunately this crate is too big to put into our coop so I can't like put them in there with everyone and then eventually put them out with everyone. It's too big it's like a little coop but not really because they don't really get to go out into a run. I'm just curious what everybody thinks about introducing these chickens back with everyone.

The broody one should integrate fine as having broody hens is common. If you took her out, you wouldn't have had to.

The injured one I wouldn't until it's totally healed up. Then, pecking order is something they've got to work out. The only other thing I can think I'd maybe do is put our giant wire dog kennel in the coop with them in it, but since these are all the same flock, I'd just put them together and let them fight it out. We do that all the time when rotating hens/roosters in the breeding pens. They can't see each other until we let them go, then they just fall right back in line with the rest.

The broody one should integrate fine as having broody hens is common. If you took her out, you wouldn't have had to.

The injured one I wouldn't until it's totally healed up. Then, pecking order is something they've got to work out. The only other thing I can think I'd maybe do is put our giant wire dog kennel in the coop with them in it, but since these are all the same flock, I'd just put them together and let them fight it out. We do that all the time when rotating hens/roosters in the breeding pens. They can't see each other until we let them go, then they just fall right back in line with the rest.
Is there a good time to do this? Should I do it at night, middle of day, in the morning before they wake up?

Is there a good time to do this? Should I do it at night, middle of day, in the morning before they wake up?
Everyone does it differently. If you do it at night, then they wake up and might not be so surprised. I do it in the morning when I get up, so I'm around to watch them interact all day. Sometimes there is a spat or two, sometimes not.

Everyone does it differently. If you do it at night, then they wake up and might not be so surprised. I do it in the morning when I get up, so I'm around to watch them interact all day. Sometimes there is a spat or two, sometimes not.
That's what I was hoping to do today but my husband got me helping him with something around the house. Now tomorrow I have to work. :( maybe Tuesday morning.

Back
Top Bottom