How to Reintroduce a Recovered Hen/Stop Hens from Fighting?

chirpingstad

Songster
Oct 14, 2020
Michigan
I have a chicken that I had separated for a month for a broken leg, I tried letting everybody free range together this morning and she seems to get along with everybody fine except for one hen. They were fighting and I ended up separating them. Should I have let them fight it out? I was scared they were going to hurt each other, it was mainly chest feather pulling when they were going at it. I have my recovered hen in a dog crate right outside the coop for now. How should I go about putting her back in with everyone?

I agree with nuthatched! Try separating the other hen a few days(or longer if necessary) and if that does not work, just let them sort out the pecking order. Usually, my experience has shown the hens do not seriously injure each other like the roosters will. Some feather pulling and maybe a drop of blood on a comb or something not to bad before they sort it out. Usually one will get the worst of it and get in line behind the victor. Turning the game around on the aggressive bird sometimes changes the dynamics enough to humble her. Good luck!

i let them duke it out, one drew a bit of blood from a wattle but it ended pretty quickly after that, took the loser and stopped the bleeding and put some wound spray on it, it’s a very small peck wound but was sure scary to watch! this was my first time having to reintroduce a hen back in, they all grew up together

Turning the table around might stop fighting. I have a couple cockerels that keep a watchful eye out for a bully hen that chases the pullets (integrated in a divided run months ago)I've seen both of my cockerels chase her off and get her off the pullets.If she keeps it up she's going in a wire crate for a week.

Back
Top Bottom