Is there any coming back from this rooster situation?

chicChickChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2015
We have 15 hens and 4 bantam roosters, aged 10 months. ( long story/chicken math as to how we got four roosters).

They’d all been getting along wonderfully, with the occasional rooster chest bump or rooster chasing another away. The Fleur D’Uccles started to front me when I got in their perceived space but were handle by me walking through them, showing some dominance. No big drama

Today I had to separate one Fleur D’Uccle rooster from the flock. He was
Going wild fighting the Silkie ( who is the biggest, and the alpha) and was going after another smaller roo during breaks. The Fleur was rather bloodied in the face.

Rooster jail and reintroduce or is D’Uccle doomed?

Having 4 roosters with hens isn't always the best idea as there will eventually be injuries and it could put stress on the hens as well. If you want to keep your D'uccle, I'd recommend moving the roosters to other coops if you have multiple. If not, you may have to down size if they can't get along. 🙁

This D'Uccles boy wants to move up ranks. Penning him for a bit and reintroducing him will not change that. If you feel comfortable letting them fight it out, let the D'Uccles do what he is doing

I am wondering if they were getting along as well as you thought. Personally, I don't enjoy cockfighting, and I would not put him back in there.

However, this fall, I had a good friend that lost a rooster, and earlier this summer I had gotten a pair of 8 week old cockerels for my flock. I have an established flock of hens, different ages, but at the time no roosters. This pair were nearly as like as peas in a pod, and I really only wanted one for my dozen of girls.

Long story short, they seemed to get along, the girls did not seem stressed...UNTIL I GAVE ONE AWAY...THEN you could just feel the tension fall away, they just all relaxed. It was an amazing difference. And the hens seemed just relieved to just focus on Longjohns. The whole flock was better.

So, I am thinking, that maybe too, in your set up, there is a bit more tension than you think.

Mrs K

We have 15 hens and 4 bantam roosters, aged 10 months. ( long story/chicken math as to how we got four roosters).

They’d all been getting along wonderfully, with the occasional rooster chest bump or rooster chasing another away. The Fleur D’Uccles started to front me when I got in their perceived space but were handle by me walking through them, showing some dominance. No big drama

Today I had to separate one Fleur D’Uccle rooster from the flock. He was
Going wild fighting the Silkie ( who is the biggest, and the alpha) and was going after another smaller roo during breaks. The Fleur was rather bloodied in the face.

Rooster jail and reintroduce or is D’Uccle doomed?
Doomed!
Don't count on them every making friends again. The agressor won't stop until all the other roosters are dead. A horrible way to go.

I'm ran into the same situation. The only choice is to rehome/cull the agressor. I made the mistake of letting them get back together after a little while in Bad Rooster Jail and things got worse. So off to the farmers' market first chance I get. :(

I am in the process of setting up some temporary residences for 3 of my 5 roosters. I am using large dog kennels to keep them separated and safe from predators and my rambuncious puppies.

Back
Top Bottom