Real Talk Please/Best Euthanization Method

I butcher chickens every year, and it's always upsetting for me. So I'm very interested in this thread as well. I've never tried the cervical dislocation method by hand or by broomstick, but I think I will - the very next time I butcher (in 2 weeks). I actually wouldn't mind if the head came off completely, like a few others have stated, I want to leave NO doubt. I want the bird to go from comfortable and calm in my arms to 100% dead in the blink of an eye.

I like how Mike the Chicken Vet describes that euthanasia is not about killing; it's about making an animal unconscious before death, so that they are not aware. It is the most humane. He describes two main methods that are most humane and easily done by backyard chicken owners: CV (by hand or broomstick) and decapitation.

After a few botched attempts with a machete, my method has always been decapitation using a killing cone and PVC cutters. My reasoning being that there is little chance of botching it for the chicken, little risk to my fingers, and it is overwith in an instant. The only thing I don't like about it is the fear factor for the chicken. When I place them in the killing cone with the head sticking out the bottom, they surely feel fear at being trapped. That's why I do it very quickly. It is quite violent and bloody, however. As long as I know the chicken felt nothing, I don't mind the blood. It's just so messy to clean up, is all.

Each of us has to find a method that works best, and there is no one "right" method that works for everyone.

It also helps me to say a prayer for the bird, talk to it, pet it, and thank it for the gift it's about to give me and my family.

We had to put my very loved hen down last summer. Unfortunately the traveling vet couldn’t get us in in time.
I held her and my husband tried the cervical dislocation. It was our first time and it didn’t work. The second try worked… and boy was it traumatizing. I cried for months and months after. I wish I would have taken her to another vet to be put down.

Do you have any that at the moment you're thinking are on the decline? I've been I guess "lucky," they haven't really shown that they're living in pain, just typical old chicken behavior and then one morning you go out to the coop and they passed in the night. The 2 times I knew something was wrong, I wrapped them in towels, put in a nest box for the night, got on BYC and did lot's of reading. They were gone in the am. So I guess my only point is to let you know that you might not have to resort to Euthanasia very often (which is absolutely the right thing to do when you know quality of life is bad,) Hugs... 🧡

I’m interested in this method or CD. My husband is very good with a .22 (military). I worried the chicken would be too difficult to keep still but this seems like an option as well. I assume very quick? 😭
Yes, instant. We have never had a mishap with this method & we've used it quite a bit. & wrapped in paper like we do or a towel or blanket or something they can't move at all & don't flap around after.

I'm on rural acreage with closest veterinarian about 30 miles away. Neither husband nor I have the intestinal fortitude to undertake euthanasia ourselves, since my hens are pure pets. Thankfully there are two vet clinics who've, over the years, professionally sent some of my girls to the Rainbow Bridge. Sometimes planned, sometimes emergency. Traveling in a pet carrier, lined with hay and covered with a towel seems to lessen their stress once we're on the road. The $$ is simply something I've factored into my hen-care equation, just like horses, although they're often way more expensive to properly take care of than you have planned for :hmm

Cervical dislocation is the fastest, painless, and most humane method. Your husband would have no trouble executing this method. https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-humanely-euthanize-chicken-by-dr/
I want to second this. I really like this method and was taught how to do it by a very educated avian vet/friend. It isn’t cruel and there isn’t tons of blood (i had no blood when doing it but i’m sure sometimes there could be a little bit.)

Also, you will notice spasms afterwards when they are no longer alive, they aren’t in pain or anything like that, it’s natural after death, (but please make sure you hold them down tightly so they don’t run after the dislocation, it’s a pretty horrid sight.)

Thank you. She has a reproductive issue and is declining. She ate today and is still walking around some. More breaks with eyes closed but I know the day is coming. Her feeling fear is the worst part for me hence asking this question. Thank you all so much ♥️
Let me describe how it went for me today - it may help you. The most fear they felt, I think, was when I was catching them up and they tried to get away. Yours won't, I know - but I say this so you know these birds were somewhat fearful of me already.

For each one, I carried him in my arms, talked to him and stroked him. He was alert but calm and peaceful. There was no struggle or fear. As I held him upside down, he flapped for a moment to get his bearings, and then calmed again. I bent over to place his breast and head on the ground, and he did not resist nor try to get away; he trusted me. I held his legs up, and he held himself still with head on the ground. Still no fear. I placed the broomstick across his neck just behind the head (he's still calm and quiet), and quickly put my feet on the stick on either side, and just as quickly pulled up on his feet until the neck snapped.

I think it's not so much your girl's fear that bothers you; it's your own. That's okay and I understand. She will be okay. She won't feel a thing. And with you or your husband - the two people she knows best - holding her and talking to her before the deed, she won't even suspect what's coming.

Back
Top Bottom