A squirrel is

I take offense to the shooting thing.
tongue.png

Put out a bag of peanuts FAR away from the chicken coop. if you feed them somewhere else they will forget about your chickens.

Last edited:
Hey - squirrels are getting a bad rap!
hmm.png
I would think barn cats would also deter them. The crow here in our yard actually attack the squirrels and run them off. I know our squirrels would never take on a full size chicken.

The specialized bird seed - with cayenne or some other deterent - does work. The birds can't smell it, but the squirrels do and leave it alone. The down side is the cost of those products.

Before you order a mass extermination of all squirrels, I request a trial by jury.
smile.png

Wow HLAC I thought those were fake pictures some post when I frist scrolled over them.You know ...squirrels with guns and othe props added. I don't like squirrels since they tore up my gardens.Cute like cottontails,but I will get rid of them if they come into my yard.

Squirrels are horrible with chickens - eating feed, stealing eggs and will steal chicks too.

My dogs are encouraged to actively hunt squirrels and are rewarded when they catch them. It has not stopped the squirrels from invading our area.

I have never found the cayenne/hot peppers to keep squirrels away.

Barn cats do not keep squirrels away (in fact, we had a stray cat raise her litter under the shed with the squirrels).

My jury has come back............guilty!

Squirrels WILL EAT SMALL chicks and they prefer chicks and eggs to nuts! I've lost a few chicks to squirrel even after setting up a squirrel feeder.
somad.gif

They won't bother big chickens though.

Back
Top Bottom