A stinkin' Raccoon attacked my flock!

Rooster Runner

In the Brooder
May 15, 2020
Hi everyone!

Last night a raccoon got into my coop through a small hole in the fence! My awesome rooster protected the flock! Him and that coon had a real fight before I got there, but he doesn't look bad at all. Thanks to him, no birds were killed or lethally harmed, and I got the raccoon! I'll never see him again. . . Anyway, my rooster lost a few scales on his legs. . . I don't know what to do. I sprayed some hydrogen peroxide on his legs, and washed them. He was limping a lot this morning, but it's barely noticeable now. I'm not sure if he's just dealing with it, or it's really healing. It doesn't look to bad, so I'm guessing the latter. Do scales grow back? And should I do anything else for him? I think he deserves at least that much.

I'm sorry, I do not have any idea how to help him. But he indeed it a brave boy. I have had roosters tear themselves up fighting. I just cleaned the wounds and separated them for a few days. Hope your guy heals fast.

Okay! Thank you so much! Another question though: He hasn't crowed in the morning since the attack, but he crows plenty when the sun's up. Why is this?

Good for your rooster! That's impressive! If you have a pic of him, we'd like to see your little hero!

Definitely, this was his first fight with a predator. I'm surprised he fought that thing so skillfully! I think he actually developed his own fighting techniques, he jumps up and down, trying to hit the animal with his spurs! I believe he does this because he hit the-former-leader-of-the-flock with his spur, and he won! Do most roosters use their spurs in battle?

Back
Top Bottom