A stoat is killing my chickens. I need immediate help! He is bold.

Pics

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
I came home today to find a "cute" little stoat walking by my house herding a chicken egg. I didn't think much of it, I took a video in fact. Let me know if you want to see the video. Well it has been here for the winter and I quickly looked up if they kill chickens, a quick google search said that they only killed chicks... I paid no mind. Well anyway when I came inside my family told me that 5 chickens were missing, only two found, one missing a head... Did a stoat do all of this? Was there another predator? The missing chickens are 2 full growns and 3 bantam.
How to I catch it asap? It also sneaks around the house at night, meaning that mouse traps and ect. are also possible. I just want it dead. It got so bold. After I found out and ran outside to check on my chickens I saw it looking at them from under a car and even when I got in front of my chickens it still approached. I tried to smush it and it ran back under the car.

Sorry if my text is I dunno plain, but I'm kinda texting on autopilot. I just loved them so much.

Either, or any could have done this. Secure your flock in their safe coop, and run it it's really predator proof, until this problem is solved. Otherwise you soon will have no chickens at all, maybe by tomorrow.
Your predator proof housing should have a dig proof foundation, and no openings larger than 1/2" diameter anywhere. Hardware cloth well secured, at least.
Setting live traps may catch your raccoons, and weasels are more difficult, but also possible. Free ranging is out for now, at least!
Mary

Either, or any could have done this. Secure your flock in their safe coop, and run it it's really predator proof, until this problem is solved. Otherwise you soon will have no chickens at all, maybe by tomorrow.
Your predator proof housing should have a dig proof foundation, and no openings larger than 1/2" diameter anywhere. Hardware cloth well secured, at least.
Setting live traps may catch your raccoons, and weasels are more difficult, but also possible. Free ranging is out for now, at least!
Mary
Our coop is kinda broken. 😓
I don't know how to fix it. It is raining which means the electric screwdriver would be no use.
20210511_171054.jpg

20210511_171031.jpg

That coop definately needs help.
How many live chickens are we talking about.
Your stout (weasel) or racoons will wipe your flock out quickly unless they have a secure night time place to sleep.
Sounds like your stout may also be hunting the chickens during the day (rare, but it does happen)
Can you bring the chickens to a secure place for night time?
I am sorry for your lost chickens, but the coop will have to be reinforced before it will be a suitable safe coop for your chickens.
Good luck!

That coop definately needs help.
How many live chickens are we talking about.
Your stout (weasel) or racoons will wipe your flock out quickly unless they have a secure night time place to sleep.
Sounds like your stout may also be hunting the chickens during the day (rare, but it does happen)
Can you bring the chickens to a secure place for night time?
I am sorry for your lost chickens, but the coop will have to be reinforced before it will be a suitable safe coop for your chickens.
Good luck!
I have 11 chickens now. There is nowhere else for me to bring them.

Back
Top Bottom