A stoat is killing my chickens. I need immediate help! He is bold.

that stoat is really cute, he could not have killed 5 chickens in one day so I'm really glad you caught the raccoon a much more likely suspect.
The stoat is stealing your eggs but he is too cute. Hope you can secure your coop and keep everyone happy like that, the stout will not be a threat to freeranging chickens during the day - its only the size of a squirrel.
may look cute...... very efficient killer... and if it decides to kill 5 chickens in a day it totally will! size means nothing!

I honestly bonded with the stoat this winter. It seeked refuge in the garage and then moved into the house. It would just poke its head out from time to time and stare at us. But I did see it look at my chickens and move twords them. If it steps out of line I will sadly have to take action.
sounds like it has already taken action and it will do it again....

If you can't fix the hole soon, try putting a live trap (if you have one) with bait (cat food works well) inside the coop in front of the hole. That way if it comes back it should go in there first, and you'll know what it is.

he could not have killed 5 chickens in one day
Agree that he is cute, but I guarantee that he Is capable of killing many full grown chickens in one night.
If he can get in the coop when chickens are roosting at night, he can do what is called cashe killing. ( killing food for later)
I once had a least weasel get in my coop through a small knot hole in a floor board. He went down the roost and felled 7 full grown chickens. Fixed the hole and Caught him the next night in live trap baited with leg quarter of one of the chickens he killed.
Another gained entrance to my coop through a mole tunnel and killed my broody hen and her 3 2 month old chicks. Reinforced my coop apron and Caught him the next night in live trap baited with one of the dead chicks
Here is his picture. Yes he is about the size of a red squirrel or chipmunk.
20181020_075146.jpg
I live in harmony with my weasel as they greatly reduce rodent populations. Just keep chickens tightly secure at night time.

It is very very curious. I was only less then a yard away when I took the video. I was also talking to it (I muted it) and it didn't seem to get scared.
It's used to your presence....as you've allowed it to become.
Which I can kind of understand, they can be fascinating,
but I'd not have done that with a unsecured chicken coop.

It's used to your presence....as you've allowed it to become.
Which I can kind of understand, they can be fascinating,
but I'd not have done that with a unsecured chicken coop.
I set up a trap by a hole in coop just in case it gets close. This weekend I'll try to patch up the coop.
I'm starting to take the stoat more serious and have been blocking off potential digging space and ect.
(I was hopeing to build a real secure coop for my chickens this year but wood cost spiked. :/ )

Back
Top Bottom