1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A strange Relationship

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Colored Egg Farmer, May 4, 2008.

1. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Well about 3-5 years ago my grandparents had about 8 geese. One was female and the rest were males. The female laid many eggs but they never hatched. Well one day a lone canadian duck arrived. This was durring the fall and probably it had lost its mate. It stayed all winter with the geese. In the spring the female laid here eggs. And guess what. We now had 3 baby canadian geese following an american goose. At the end of that year. The canadians took off. The american geese must have thought to follow and they took off as well. (only about 5 feet from the ground) The geese and the canadians were never seen again. I really miss gettign chased by the geese while stealing a egg.

2. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Sorry they left, you need to buy some more.

3. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    What an interesting story, thank you! [​IMG]

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    That's a cute story.

Do you mean Canada geese and a domestic goose? Or Mallard ducks?

Domestic geese are bred to not be able to fly. So I am wondering what you were seeing at your grandparents home.

5. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Canadian and domestic Goose And yes they flew but just high enough to reach the fence. And if they didn't fly i must have amagened that dent in the car one day when one of the geese hit a car [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by