a strange wet spot on my hens' back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jubalee555, May 26, 2011.

1. jubalee555

jubalee555 New Egg

May 26, 2011
    Hi, first time on,(I hope I'm doing this right!), I have an 8 month old cochin hen that acted sick ( tail down, standing in the corner), so I removed her from the others. She has been in solitary confinement for maybe a week, seems better, tail up a little more, interested in eating, although appetite still not normal. Her comb was very pale, but color is getting better, it is now pink. Today, I noticed a wet spot on her back- her lower back close to the tail. I spread apart her feathers to see if she has a rash or injury & saw a tiny transparent worm crawling around. What is going on? What is this & how can I treat it? Does she have a disease that is contagious? ( I wondered if the wet spot was blood, but it's not)

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Wow- I have no idea what that is. Hopefully, someone else will chime in. Welcome to BYC!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It sounds like she has a festered sore somewhere on her and perhaps it's a maggot you saw. You really need to give her a thorough inspection under those feathers all over her body and find out what is going on and treat accordingly.

4. ellie-x-x-x

ellie-x-x-x Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    was it actually wet or just looked wet? might be mites...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by