A Thread About Trees

I will have some mulberry starts from last year i have at least a dozen probably more that came up in my herb garden where the pullets planted them. If anyone is interested i would swap them for other fruit trees or berry bushes and similar things. Pm if interested.

Hiya! Is this where tree-planters-anonymous meets?
wink.png

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only nut on the forum that loves starting plants from seeds. I'm just about to order some seeds to try for a couple of varieties of dogwood - I've fallen in love with these plants. At some point this year, I'd like to try starting a lemon tree, as well. I'm in zone 6, though, so it would have to be a relatively small variety that I could move indoors during the winter season.

So.......the trees in our yard. We have a huge honey locust that I took a seedling from a few months ago. The baby is currently in its own little bucket, happily awaiting springtime. I'm pleased with how well it's doing, since I think I accidentally chopped off part of the main root when I was digging it up. We also have a very lovely old crab apple (I want a start from that one, too!) One excellent Contender peach, and two volunteer peaches that came up from a store bought peach pit I planted as a kid........that was a surprise. We've had a couple of other volunteers show up in the last two of years. They're either box elder trees or some kind of maple. I'm still trying to figure out which it is.

I'll also be getting a dwarf mulberry soon, though technically it's a bush, I guess.

Anyway, sorry to jump on and run my mouth right off the bat
hide.gif

No worries and welcome to the thread! We are in zone 7 (technically 7a I think) in the southeastern Texas panhandle, so my little lemon will need to come indoors for the winters. I read that even "regular" sized lemon trees can be trained to remain small if they are kept in containers. That was what I was hoping to get our little lemon to do. I kind of doubt it will ever bear fruit in that situation, but since mine came out of a regular store-bought lemon I never really expected it to be a good producer anyway.

No worries and welcome to the thread! We are in zone 7 (technically 7a I think) in the southeastern Texas panhandle, so my little lemon will need to come indoors for the winters. I read that even "regular" sized lemon trees can be trained to remain small if they are kept in containers. That was what I was hoping to get our little lemon to do. I kind of doubt it will ever bear fruit in that situation, but since mine came out of a regular store-bought lemon I never really expected it to be a good producer anyway.

Thank you! I'm in zone 6a, though there's a small chance I could end up in 6b at some point here. I think it's interesting to talk to folks in different zones and see how they garden.

And thank you for the info on the lemons. I have had a gardening friend here suggest that I try to get a dwarf lemon. I guess some regular lemons don't take well to confinement in pots. I'd love to have one that produced fruit, even if it wasn't very often. A bonsai would certainly be small enough, but I tried my hand at those years ago and I'm not a good bonsai keeper
hmm.png

We have some neighbors down the street that have a bunch of volunteer apple trees coming up along their ditch bank. I'd really like to go get one for myself, especially after seeing a transplanted one in another neighbor's yard. Can't remember what kind of apple they are, though. Some kind of green apple. When I get a chance, I'll walk over and ask them if they mind that I take one, then go out and look them over. Maybe they can tell me what it is.

I really wanted a Meyer lemon because they are a dwarf variety, but since we live in Texas and Texas grows citrus no one can ship citrus stuff here from other states. I have been on the hunt for a Meyer lemon in the grocery store, but no luck as of yet.
hu.gif

We are a tree farm ... Mostly wholesale bare root nursery stock ... Mostly your typical northern fruits ... But we also do some custom packaging ... Like the trees in "bread bags" you can buy at Costco. It is our busy season right now.

I'm doing a poultry pasture renovation right now and want to plant a bunch of weird fruits to entertain and protect the birds. One of our good business friends grows all kinds of curious and wonderful things! He is "curating" a special poultry lovers' collection of weird things for me. I can hardly wait to find out what he will choose!

I'm doing a poultry pasture renovation right now and want to plant a bunch of weird fruits to entertain and protect the birds. One of our good business friends grows all kinds of curious and wonderful things! He is "curating" a special poultry lovers' collection of weird things for me. I can hardly wait to find out what he will choose!
Neat! And it's awesome to have a professional tree grower on the thread!
wee.gif

Last edited:
We are a tree farm ... Mostly wholesale bare root nursery stock ... Mostly your typical northern fruits ... But we also do some custom packaging ... Like the trees in "bread bags" you can buy at Costco. It is our busy season right now.

I don't know.....but when I tried to have my chickens in my orchard, they were terribly destructive to the baby trees.

Back
Top Bottom