A tree in the run?

SoCalClucker

Chirping
Jun 21, 2017
We just did a bit of a change-up in our run. It's about 25 ft. x 10 ft., roughly rectangular, fully enclosed with 1/4" hardware mesh along all walls, the ceiling (which is 10 feet tall), and underneath the sand floor. About 1/3 floor area of it has been made into a "sandbox" of alfalfa hay for them to play in, and the other 2/3 is coarse sand. We had a coop in there, but we also had several nesting roosts above the alfalfa section that seemed to be favored by most of the birds, so the coop was really just for the 2 nesting boxes but it was getting dirty and not so my favorite. So, today, the coop came out, we walled in the nesting roosts a bit to make it feel more cozy, and put in 4 new nesting boxes. It looks wonderful! So much more open space, replaced some of the sand with new sand that's clean and pretty, I am happy as a clam. :wee

That got me thinking some crazy thoughts. Has anyone ever put live plants into their run? I was thinking about a small tree in a big pot, set into a corner. It'd help with shade, make the run feel a little more comfortable I'd think, and... I dunno... I like the idea. :clapOr maybe a half wine barrel, planted with a nice big rosemary and some complementary plants? Any thoughts? Would have to be something that, if it got a few leaves pecked, wouldn't be poisonous... I'd have to put some pretty big heavy stones to cover the soil so they don't tear up the roots... what do you think? :ya

Great idea, but just be careful you don't get things that grow upwards like a tree, it would break the coop. Other plants they would probably dig up and kill, but they would love it for the moment. Be careful of what plants you get, some can be bad for chickens.

Hmm. Doesn't rosemary supposedly have some bug repellent properties? I wonder if a big bush of rosemary in a pot would add some good ambience to the run... :hmm Would they eat it, I wonder?

Great idea but... as said, they will probably dig it up with their dust bathing! I let my chickens free range and I have a Japanese Maple planted in a barrel pot and they almost killed it by deciding it was a great place to roost and dust bathe. I finally put some big rocks in the planter...they were unhappy about that but I'm happy the tree will now survive!

Great idea but... as said, they will probably dig it up with their dust bathing! I let my chickens free range and I have a Japanese Maple planted in a barrel pot and they almost killed it by deciding it was a great place to roost and dust bathe. I finally put some big rocks in the planter...they were unhappy about that but I'm happy the tree will now survive!
I love Japanese maples, what gorgeous trees! So glad you were able to save it in time. :)

Even if it's something they don't like, and don't have access to other greens they will decimate it. I thought if I grew some tomatoes inside their run for them to have fruit they might like that... the chickens ate the plants down to one central stick in an afternoon.... since then, I've thrown down various herb seeds right outside the fencing and through the apron for them... I feel weird knowing I'm feeding them mint, oregano and basil.... am I pre-seasoning them? Lol

Even if it's something they don't like, and don't have access to other greens they will decimate it. I thought if I grew some tomatoes inside their run for them to have fruit they might like that... the chickens ate the plants down to one central stick in an afternoon.... since then, I've thrown down various herb seeds right outside the fencing and through the apron for them... I feel weird knowing I'm feeding them mint, oregano and basil.... am I pre-seasoning them? Lol

:lau:lau:lau

I have a huge pecan that shades the run (important here) and some grape vines and some wisteria and an oak. It's a big run. They don't pay attention to any of that, excepting to cool off under the trees.

Back
Top Bottom