A Vaccination Question

Farmer Del

Hatching
Jul 8, 2015
Roy, WA
Hello out there. I have 5 1-week old chicks who have been vaccinated for Marek's. I have a chance to pick up 2-3 3-week olds who have NOT been vaccinated. The local vet says a shot for a 3 week old would be ineffective. I'm puzzled. I'm now hesitant to introduce the new babies that haven't been vaccinated, but from what I've read, there are some interesting lines of thought.

Any thoughts that I might consider?

Comments would be appreciated. Thank you!

The reason a Marek's vaccine for a three week old chick would be "ineffective" is that most/many chicks are exposed to the Marek's virus shortly after hatching, as they're transferred from incubator to brooder, shipped, housed next to other birds, etc. The vaccine can only help chicks build resistance against Marek's if they receive the vaccine before they're already infected with Marek's. That is why most people or hatcheries vaccinate, if they are going to, at one to a few days old. Preferably, the vaccinated chicks would still be kept separate from other birds/sources of infection for around two weeks while the vaccine takes effect. Of course, this isn't always possible; fortunately, the vaccine still generally provides protection.

Since the chicks you are getting are several weeks old, I would not vaccinate them. At this point, it would probably do no good. I would simply go ahead and introduce the unvaccinated chicks to the rest of your vaccinated chicks. They will either be resistant to Marek's or succumb to it at some point down the road; hopefully the former.

The reason a Marek's vaccine for a three week old chick would be "ineffective" is that most/many chicks are exposed to the Marek's virus shortly after hatching, as they're transferred from incubator to brooder, shipped, housed next to other birds, etc. The vaccine can only help chicks build resistance against Marek's if they receive the vaccine before they're already infected with Marek's. That is why most people or hatcheries vaccinate, if they are going to, at one to a few days old. Preferably, the vaccinated chicks would still be kept separate from other birds/sources of infection for around two weeks while the vaccine takes effect. Of course, this isn't always possible; fortunately, the vaccine still generally provides protection.

Since the chicks you are getting are several weeks old, I would not vaccinate them. At this point, it would probably do no good. I would simply go ahead and introduce the unvaccinated chicks to the rest of your vaccinated chicks. They will either be resistant to Marek's or succumb to it at some point down the road; hopefully the former.

Fantastic insight. Thank you for your perspective!
VR
Mario

Back
Top Bottom