A Video Message From Me - Culling Complete - Update on Post #1

Quote:
Luckily, MG will die off in a few days if not in a chickens body. I'll
clean the barn and disinfect using bleach and whatever else I'm
told to use. My coop is actually a 12x24' barn that I have sectioned off.
Burning isn't an option.

There are many other diseases out there such as Mareks that take
a long time to die off.

Oh no PC!! So sorry to hear it!! So what is the time line for latency in the environment? Sorry I don't know what MG is.. is it an obligate parasite?

Will you have chickens again? (Sorry if that's an inappropriate question.)

hugs.gif

Oops sorry. I see you were posting while I was typing.

Last edited:
Quote:
Welcome to BYC. This site is a wealth of information and everyone is
always willing to share it.

In my case some simple common sense would have prevented this.

Never bring in birds to your flock without isolating them for several weeks.

Don't let this scare you.

WOW. How HORRIBLE for you. I can't imagine having to cull the entire flock at once.

I know you are supposed to keep new animals separate from the rest....but for HOW LONG? And how can you be SURE that you are doing everything right & when it's safe??

The same thing happened with us & a dog we "rescued"...it seemed fine, then all our original dogs & that one, lost their minds...distemper. It was gruesome. VACCINATE YOUR DOGS. lesson learned....

But how do you know it's safe to introduce a new bird to the flock? If it's something you can carry on your clothing, then how can you be safe making your rounds tending to the animals?? You would have to bathe & change clothing between flocks/birds just to feed & water...

All of my flock came from two Old English Games, that were given to me. Just the two. I'm on my third year of having them, and if I count this year's hatch, I now have 22 birds (16 being this year's hatch) I would like to have some different breeds, but I am scared out of my head to get a new one because things like this can & do happen.

PurpleChicken,

I'm really glad you posted this. I'm a newbie, and i've read SpeckledHen's ten commandments, and i've heard about biosecurity......but then a LOT of people on BYC will recommend trying to treat birds that have "a cold," that i begin to doubt the severity of this kind of thing.

This brings it home really hard.

I am so so sorry that you're going through this. It break my heart for you.

Thanks a lot for educating others.

Mrs. Glassman :

WOW. How HORRIBLE for you. I can't imagine having to cull the entire flock at once.

I know you are supposed to keep new animals separate from the rest....but for HOW LONG? And how can you be SURE that you are doing everything right & when it's safe??

The same thing happened with us & a dog we "rescued"...it seemed fine, then all our original dogs & that one, lost their minds...distemper. It was gruesome. VACCINATE YOUR DOGS. lesson learned....

But how do you know it's safe to introduce a new bird to the flock? If it's something you can carry on your clothing, then how can you be safe making your rounds tending to the animals?? You would have to bathe & change clothing between flocks/birds just to feed & water...

All of my flock came from two Old English Games, that were given to me. Just the two. I'm on my third year of having them, and if I count this year's hatch, I now have 22 birds (16 being this year's hatch) I would like to have some different breeds, but I am scared out of my head to get a new one because things like this can & do happen.

Simple biosecurity can prevent 90% of the infections. Usually a bird
will show signs of MG, MS, Mareks, Newcastle, and strains of Cocci
in less than 30 days.​

Back
Top Bottom