A Video Message From Me - Culling Complete - Update on Post #1

I'm a brand new member. I think I have something like four posts. I've had chickens for all of less than a month, getting my first chicks from a True Value Hardware Store in a tiny small town here in Washington State. We bought our country house two years ago and spent the first year setting up for our horses and working our butts off just to make the mortgage and settle into being new home owners.

This year, was the year to expand a little and do some of the things we always wanted to do. An old hay barn fell down and gave us the opportunity and space to build what I affectionately call 'The Chicken Palace". I'm an animal lover to the core, and I browse the site daily to see what people are posting about, whats on their minds, and to just learn all I can about chickens. I'm absolutely in love with my first six RIR chicks I have which are boisterous teenagers now, getting their feathers and one of which is growing his first comb and learning to crow. I added to the flock with four more EEs and then two AAs.... and it broke my heart when I realized one of the EEs had a really significant leg injury (that I was too dumb to notice when I picked her out at the feed store) that got worse as she got older. We posted for help on here... my husband and I... but it became clear that her injury wasn't getting any better and she was in constant pain. My husband is a beautiful soul and told me to call the vet. I called everyone in my local area (which incidentally is the egg capital of Washington) and all of them laughed and said they wouldn't treat poultry. So, in the hardest act I've ever had to do, I culled the chick at three weeks old just when she was getting her beautiful feathers because she couldn't hardly walk. That hurt... and was really really hard to do. I cannot imagine what you went through culling your four favorites, or what it will be like eliminating the rest.

The chicken palace isn't up yet... its just a stick frame with three walls (wall four is going on tonight), and in the mean time the teenagers are in a portable run that we move around the yard that keeps them safe (and from driving my saintly hubby nuts because they were living in his office). But, being so painfully new at all of this.... I count myself lucky having stumbled upon your videos. I hear the rage in your voice at yourself, PC, but the truth is your not going quietly down without a fight. You're protecting your friends, their families of chickens, and you're teaching people like me what not to do. You're taking out your entire flock, and from the sounds of your video it is a significant one... but I really want to thank you... from one mistake (and yes, it was a mistake... even if it was something you knew better) others are learning. I'm sure its not a lesson you willingly wanted to teach, but at least their deaths won't be for naught. My chicken palace will have a separate place now away from the others, with zero contact, so that I can continue to get new birds without fear of spreading illness. I would not have thought of it before seeing your video. Well, maybe I would have but honestly I'd probably have said... "It won't be me. I won't get sick birds. Everything will be fine."

You're pain was real. It takes a lot of self humility and courage to do what your doing, both with your flock and your public service. We needed something like this... all us new people out here on BYC.

Thank you.

Jen

Quote:
SUSAN'S(AHAPPYCHICK) CHICKENS HAVE NOT BEEN EXPOSED TO MINE, THANK GOD.

THE ONE TIME SHE WENT IN MY BARN SHE TURNED WHITE AND HELD
HER BREATH
roll.png

IF I BUILD A NEW FLOCK SOME OF MY BASE STOCK WILL COME FROM HER'S
BECAUSE I KNOW HER FLOCK IS CLEAN

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear about your birds. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Review the following links. Any kind of sneezing, wheazing, runny noses, puffy eyes, etc should be considered a sign of a disease. Chickens
do sneeze from environmental issues too so a random sneeze is not
a big deal unless other signs are present.

Read more on MG:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseasein … e-chickens

Southernbelle's nightmare: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181490

Please
read this page put together by Spook: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=9241

DLHUnicorn's
comments on this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2337109#p2337109

Some
of AHappyChick's threads on her Mareks experience:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=160532&p=1
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=159697

I'm really sad now PC. I promise to never ever do this to my birds. My DH is one who has no qualms about getting a new bird and just tossing it in the run with the others. I will NEVER allow him to do this now. The chickens have become mine. They no longer belong to him. They're MINE!
I will protect them with my teeth bared.

Thank you for sharing this misfortune with us.

i have a question though, it said that surviving flock would always be carriers, so why is it that you culled your birds, why cant you just close your flock and not add new ones?

of course i ask this with only reading the first article and not all 11 pages of comments

PC, hello from a fellow CT chicken enthusiast.... Like many others, I am sorry for your loss and the hard choices/lessons you were faced with. Your videos are a wake up call, especially to newbies like myself who are just getting into new habits of chicken care. It really drives the point home to not only give our chickens the best we can in the way of shelter and food, but to also to constantly be aware of general health and practice good biosecurity. I'm pretty obsessive about my care, but now I will be even more so because it is easy to become "relaxed" about one or two things and then wammo!
This video will be in my mind now as a checkpoint to make sure things are in order. It's horrible that you have to suffer, but it's admirable that you are trying to get the word out despite what you are going through.

Now might be a good time to ask about who the best contacts in the state are for chicken health?? Having that info on hand would be essential to add to my other animal emergency numbers.

Again, wishing you the best during this horrendously difficult time!
hit.gif

Quote:
Quote:
The decision to cull is based on me being exposed to other flocks.
A few of my closest relationships are with people who have chickens.
I cannot under any circumstance risk infecting their flocks. Can you imagine
what would happen if I infected AHappyChick's prized silkies, Aracaunas,
Marans, etc because of some chicken dust on my clothing? No way.
My irresponsible conduct already caused enough damage and it must
stop here.

I culled my 4 most important birds last night because I had a molment
of strentgh when I could do it. Waiting any longer, knowing what had
to be done, was MUCH more painful. I had to get it over with. Making
the video made me feel a lot better too because I knew everyone
here would understand. Nonchicken people just don't get it.

As for the roos well they are 15 week old standards that ChickieMama
gave me. They were packing peanuts and I always intended on using
them as meat birds.

A final thought on culling a pet: In the old days you would shoot your
loyal dog or horse to put it down. This was a personal, and painless
way of doing a hard deed. I've put a few dogs down at the vets office
and it's not fun nor is it much easier than taking the animal out back
and shooting it. In the case of my chickens I only used the hatchet
to break their necks, not remove their heads. I was able to hold onto
them until they stopped the normal nervous kicking. They got a kind
and peaceful death in my arms, not flopping around headless, and
I got to hold them and bury them myself, in peace.

Though I hurt for what you are having to do today... cull your PETS not just your chickens obviously. I have to show this and all its teaching ways to my husband when he gets home. I bought 2 black silkies last year and I made him build me a 'quarentine' pen for them. He said it was a waste... we watched for 4 weeks before I convinced they were healthy and introduced them.

He now needs to see the seriousness of a 'sick' bird.

Thank you for being outspoken with what you are going through and making it visible to everyone else out there. People need to learn from one another's mistakes.

I'm am sure you will rebuild after all this has passed... take some time to mourn and clean and feel good before you bring more birds into your life. You will always have birds, I guarentee!!!

Last edited:
And were your chickies suffering, so you decided to finally cull? Why didn't you choose to treat them, was it already to late? Are roos not affected by MG?

All the birds are affected by MG. You cannot get rid of MG by treating it. It stays in their bodies forever, which is what "carrier" means. If you choose to keep an infected flock, which you can choose to do and many have, you will always have a weak flock and every bird you bring into it from then on will get the same disease. That's not a fun cycle to set up. Then, there is always the chance that you yourself will accidentally infect someone else's flock, even if you are careful, since we cannot see germs. PC did a brave and responsible thing.​

Back
Top Bottom