A Video Message From Me - Culling Complete - Update on Post #1

Quote:
Hmmm...just makes me wonder about this "sudden" panic over MG/MS. It sounds like, once again, the gov't is trying to take control away from its citizens in some strange way. I mean, if they can convince people that there's a new "epidemic" and prevent people from free ranging their chickens, they once again gain control and people may as well buy their eggs from a store, which ultimately come from a commercial business, since free ranging will be shown to be "bad..."

Just a thought...

Last edited:
Thank you PurpleChicken. I will have a few weeks this summer when things will slow down enough for me to take blood samples of the game birds and one of each species i have in the barn.

By the way, I have about 16 Guinea fowl and NONE of them EVER showed ANY signs of infection.

Now, you must realize that I really do not know exactly if it was MG that ran through the barn, but the symptoms sure were close.

Also, during this horrid time, I did research and found that wild birds WILL carry MG and THEY can infect a free ranging flock.

Personally I think you probably did the correct thing. I tell ya, I could NOT cull my flock a year ago. The ones i did HAVE to cull made me physically sick. The worst were the rare breeds.

Every night I would go through the flock with a low powered flash light and listen for rasping breathing. I would pluck the bird off its perch and listen carefully and give it a good look see.

I would cull the bird that night outside of the barn with a sharp blade. It just made be sick and I do remember a few tears as I was burying the poor things.

I do feel that one can not necessarily keep this disease away for an indefinite period of time.

I NEVER buy from an auction house. I have given up incubating ANY eggs from the barn and I buy day olds from hatcheries.

I do let the hens that go broody hatch out. I have had 10 chicks from different moms and dads and they are ALL very healthy.

I have had Keets hatch out and they are all healthy.

I just do not know. The blood samples will be analyzed and I will know what I am up against.

In the mean time, may the GOD of chickens shine on both of us.

Quote:
Wow Rim, again such good info and I COMPLETELY FEEL YOUR PAIN!!

I went through my barn a lot of times at 1 am just to check on them and
listen. Oh that was a memory I was trying to bury.

Quote:
Hmmm...just makes me wonder about this "sudden" panic over MG/MS. It sounds like, once again, the gov't is trying to take control away from its citizens in some strange way. I mean, if they can convince people that there's a new "epidemic" and prevent people from free ranging their chickens, they once again gain control and people may as well buy their eggs from a store, which ultimately come from a commercial business, since free ranging will be shown to be "bad..."

Just a thought...

Most of the state people I met didn't seem concerned over MG. They
are looking for Avian Influenza and Pullorum. MG is just an inconvienence
to them. Now for us Backyard flock owners it's much harder to deal with.

Quote:
Well, my friend JoeOxford dropped off too MG positive roos for me to cull
for him so I'm not chickenless today.
hmm.png
They are pretty boys and since
I won't be around other flocks for a while I may just keep them until I
get attached to them and have to cull pet birds again. I told ya all I ain't
too bright.

Actually, since I'm living that single life thing I may wait a while. I've
gotten homes for 2 of 3 of my dogs and my parrot in addition to
culling the flock. It's just me and Jake, at least for a while.
roll.png

PC:

I just wanted to thank you for making your video. I am doing bio security, I have my chickens in a run, etc. Your video reminded me about all the precautions I was going to do, but I was thinking about getting more birds from a chicken show. Now I am waiting to get more birds. When I do, I will get them from a hatchery, already vaccinated. (or let mine hatch, whenever they start laying!)
God bless and thank you, Theresa

Oh Don, I am so so sorry. What a nightmare. Though I started bawling halfway through your video, thank you so much for posting it. I know it must have been very hard.

Again, I am just so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom