A wannabe homesteader

reddichicken

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Hello!

I've been scouring the BYC website for a few weeks now, and I finally decided to join. My family got our first chickens almost a year ago, and we're currently up to 13 hens, 1 roo, and 4 guineas. We got into chickens because we want to live a more healthy, independent lifestyle. You can say we're wannabe homesteaders in the suburbs. Also, we have toddlers in the house, so the flock makes a great teaching tool and an excuse to get off the couch and get outside! I'm more of a city kid than a country boy, so I have a LOT of questions and look forward to getting to know everybody.

Thanks!
reddichicken

images

Welcome to BYC and enjoy all your adventures in life!

Wow that's a lot if hens for the suburbs! I'm a new member here and we've had our chickens for just about a year as well. We're in suburbs/city- there's no way I could get away with a roo! I consider myself an "urban homesteader" too! Love it

Awesome!! Welcome to BYC!! I'm also a city chicken guy...I live in NJ and I'm just a few miles from NYC, so it isn't exactly the country, but I manage to produce a lot with what I have. Best of luck!

Thanks for replying and glad to meet you! Yeah, that sounds like a lot of birds, but some of them are temporary. We just rescued six of them and are looking to re-home them. Give me a holler if you know anyone in central TX looking for chickens...As for the roo, he's relatively quiet, we have a huge back yard, and we have good neighbors. So far it's working out, but we'll see...take care!

Back
Top Bottom