A Warning about C and C Hatchery in Queen Creek AZ

Did you get a receipt from purchasing the chickens from him? If not, do you have proof that you bought the chickens from him. Like an email? You can have the Arizona department of agriculture test them for a disease free of charge. They will take blood samples and the results will take a few weeks to get back, but if the chickens are positive of something, you can easily report them to USDA. However, if the virus is really deadly, they can put down all your poultry for fear of spreading the virus. C and C will be investigated, and with their conditions, they will be shut down or suspended for selling sick animals. At least that’s my hope. My neighbor did the same thing and purchased several chickens from him. Several weeks later they turned up sickly, she had them tested and they were positive of a highly contagious disease, but she did not want to go through the trouble of reporting this place. Now the chickens that she bought from him are all dead and she is not able to find another home for her other chickens or get any other poultry because they will most likely catch the disease.
When I went out there I was hoping to get some adult chickens. He was happy to sell them to me when I was on the phone with him and told me it was a short drive from Gilbert, but after driving 45 min to get there, he informed me that the adult chickens are not for sale and never have been. He told me that if I come back in the fall, he might consider selling them to me for around $80 a hen.
I have been told so many different horror stories about this place that I don't know what to believe anymore. Please flag all of his ads off of Craigslist since that's where he gets the majority of his business. There are pictures of his cramped conditions on his website. http://www.cchatchery.com/Home_Page.html The pictures with green grass are obviously not his pictures. I am sorry that you had to go through this and I wish there was a better way to get this information out to everyone.

Yuck.
Did you see the Rhode Island Reds? It looked like they didn't have enough space to lay. I believe you, stay away!

I think the website has been altered, you can't get away with his little mission statement that says that he has a small staff. He knows he's in th wrong and he's trying to cover it up now.

No receipt. Gave him cash. Not sure he is someone I'd like to get into a tangle with. He knows how to play his game and threatened to put my personal information on the internet as a bad craig's lister. The sick chicken with the limp legs died last night. The other chicken has this rattling breathing. I'm watching it, hoping it will get better, not worse.

Last edited:
I guess I was 1 of the lucky 1's he did not call me back 3x missed 1 appt. and then quoted me an outrageous price so i decided he was a poor businessman and chose not to do any business with him it was a good choice.

I just wanted to second these warnings, in case anyone is still buying or considering buying from him. I can't speak for his treatment of chickens (though it seems to be dismal), but I can vouch for the fact that he is a dishonest guy.

We hatched a rhea a couple years back. We had to go out of town a few months after her hatch, and it was too hot for her to stay outside and we didn't know anyone we trusted to care for her, because they are a lot of work at that age. We saw this guy on craigslist and he said he had rheas, so we thought we could pay him to watch ours for us while we were out of town. When we dropped her off, he kept talking about what a gorgeous bird she was and kept asking questions about where we got her from and what we were feeding her. He seemed really impressed. Previously we had vent sexed the rhea and determined she was a girl. We called him a couple days into our absence and he said everything was fine and the rhea was doing great. Well, just a few days before we were supposed to come home, he suddenly calls us again and says the rhea is a male and very aggressive and will try to kill us when we get older. We were completely perplexed by this statement, as we had never seen anything even close to aggression in her behavior. He said since he knows how to handle rheas, he would gladly take the bird off our hands, but that he didn't recommend us keeping the rhea because it would be too dangerous. Obviously we weren't going to turn the bird over to him just like that. So when we got home we went to pick the rhea up. The wife and daughter kept calling the rhea "she" and talking about how sweet she was. But once we talked to Joseph, he kept trying to convince us it was a male and was going to kill us. We asked him if he could show us how to vent sex her since we must not have done it properly. He said he couldn't show us because it was "too difficult and dangerous". Whatever, dude! We paid him for watching her for us and took her home in spite of his promptings for us not to. Two years later, SHE is laying eggs and is still as sweet as can be. Imagine that! He could have just been honest with us and said he would like to buy her from us, but instead he lied through his teeth to try and convince us to give her to him. We're grateful that we found someone to watch her while we were away and that she seemed to be taken care of well, but that kind of dishonestly is just disturbing. I wouldn't trust him for anything. Funny thing is that I was in contact with another rhea farmer out of state and told him everything Joseph told us. He said "Don't believe anything that guy says. He sounds like he doesn't know a thing about rheas." Incidentally, we also purchased a male rhea from the farmer out of state, and he is also perfectly docile. No problems whatsoever.

Beware of this guy!

Oh geez. I live in Queen Creek. Idk where this is, because I have only been a chicken mommy since yesterday but THANK YOU for the tip!
I was at Ace Hardware for an umbrella when I came across the speckled sussex chicks & the inner child who yearns to be a farmgirl bought 4, & forgot the umbrella! LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom