A Warning to All Chicken Keepers - Please Dont Do What I Did

Today I lost my best, most favorite rooster and my hen which I saved from a fox just 2 days ago. They were accidentally locked in the car.

I have an old car that i use to store my feed and bedding in. When I open it to feed feed in the morning the chickens would jump in to try to get the scraps of corn and seeds left in the trunk. Of course I didn't want poop in there so I would always shoo them out. Well, yesterday I was rushing around trying to get the trash together to take to the dump and my husband closed the trunk without knowing that you have to check for chickens first. I didn't notice and we left, and my husband got back that evening. I had gone to dinner with friends. Well, I opened the trunk to get feed for the chickens this morning, and laying there were my two sweet birds. They died from the heat of the car. Every evening he and his flock would scurry up to my car when I pulled in the driveway and gather around my feet until I basically tripped on them. He had survived a dog attack and a raccoon attack by the skin of his teeth and I had treated his wounds. He really trusted me and he and I both knew it. He was the most caring rooster for his hens I had ever seen in my dozens of roosters. Crowding them back into his flock and running to them to check that they were OK when they bawked. I had just spoken with a man a few weeks ago who had a rooster live till he was 15, and I had told my husband I hoped the same for our guy.

I feel awful about this and I am kicking myself over it. So many little things I could have done and it would have ended up differently. I hate that he and his little lady suffered in their last moments and that I, the person who he truly trusted, was the one who caused that suffering. I am crying as I write this and I just hope that he is running around in heaven with his lady and children.

So PLEASE keep track of everyone and don't cut corners. It WILL lead to heartache eventually.

Rest in Peace - buddy & lady
I just lost my rooster Pumpkin today. I’m pretty sure he was protecting one of the ducks. I found her alone with a hurt left and my loving protective Pumpkin gone without a trace. He was so full of life, so friendly and watched over the flock all the time. No more free ranging for my birds outside the fenced area. Too dangerous. 😭

I just lost my rooster Pumpkin today. I’m pretty sure he was protecting one of the ducks. I found her alone with a hurt left and my loving protective Pumpkin gone without a trace. He was so full of life, so friendly and watched over the flock all the time. No more free ranging for my birds outside the fenced area. Too dangerous. 😭
:hugs

Today I lost my best, most favorite rooster and my hen which I saved from a fox just 2 days ago. They were accidentally locked in the car.

I have an old car that i use to store my feed and bedding in. When I open it to feed feed in the morning the chickens would jump in to try to get the scraps of corn and seeds left in the trunk. Of course I didn't want poop in there so I would always shoo them out. Well, yesterday I was rushing around trying to get the trash together to take to the dump and my husband closed the trunk without knowing that you have to check for chickens first. I didn't notice and we left, and my husband got back that evening. I had gone to dinner with friends. Well, I opened the trunk to get feed for the chickens this morning, and laying there were my two sweet birds. They died from the heat of the car. Every evening he and his flock would scurry up to my car when I pulled in the driveway and gather around my feet until I basically tripped on them. He had survived a dog attack and a raccoon attack by the skin of his teeth and I had treated his wounds. He really trusted me and he and I both knew it. He was the most caring rooster for his hens I had ever seen in my dozens of roosters. Crowding them back into his flock and running to them to check that they were OK when they bawked. I had just spoken with a man a few weeks ago who had a rooster live till he was 15, and I had told my husband I hoped the same for our guy.

I feel awful about this and I am kicking myself over it. So many little things I could have done and it would have ended up differently. I hate that he and his little lady suffered in their last moments and that I, the person who he truly trusted, was the one who caused that suffering. I am crying as I write this and I just hope that he is running around in heaven with his lady and children.

So PLEASE keep track of everyone and don't cut corners. It WILL lead to heartache eventually.

Rest in Peace - buddy & lady

I'm so sorry this happened but like others have said, it wasn't your fault. Please know that you gave them a great life. Focus on loving the ones you have and they will be grateful to you for it. Lots of love and prayers for peace ❤️

Back
Top Bottom