A Wellie with feathers starting to grow between her toes by her webbing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nakstk, Jun 4, 2012.

1. nakstk

nakstk Songster

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I have a almost 6 week old Wellie that is starting to grow feathers between her toes. I find this very odd. I dont think it is supposed to have feathers there is she?
    Here she is. Sorry her head is turned she was watching my dog.
    [​IMG]
    Is this normal?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nakstk

nakstk Songster

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    This must be the wrong forum topic to post this under? No one has any idea as to why she has started growing feathers on her feet?

3. phoebs

phoebs Chirping

May 30, 2012
    tamworth (Australia)
    well are you sure they are feathers? because i have belgian d uccles and they have feathers on there feet
    to me well i obviously cant see only in the pics you have provided but from what i can see she looks like
    she might have mites which are easy to get rid of![​IMG]

4. nakstk

nakstk Songster

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    THanks Phoebs, They are really feathers I got my answer on the Wellie forum I posted on because I thought this might have been the wrong one after I already posted here. EweSheep told me "She will have feather stubs and its a serious fault and should not be used for breeding. However enjoy her for egg laying!" Which is fine I have no intentions of breeding any of my chickens.

5. phoebs

phoebs Chirping

May 30, 2012
    tamworth (Australia)
    o yer ok well thats good sorry i couldnt help umm well
    it least she isnt sick

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

That is actually not unusual with Welsummers, I'm told. I hatched some from a very reputable breeder in the midwest, not a propagator, but a good breeder. Some of those had the same thing, even some stubs up the sides of the legs. Was told it was something you see on Wellies from time to time, probably from their ancestry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: