A wet coop? How to deal??

OK. Is there a way you can seal around the outside and the inside of the base of the coop (where it meets the concrete) with a quality outdoor sealant? I am thinking of something like "silicone caulk" or maybe a product called Blackjack (rubberized I think). Just my two cents.

Additionally, some guttering might help...not sure you need to go that far, I would try to seal the foundation area once it is quite dry...I know it will be hard to dry this out...

Also consider using deep litter system if there is still a little water coming in...it works well with a little moisture and provides compost.

Nice build...I hope it can work for you.

Sealing it will definitely happen. I don't know how to go about sealing the wall that is the divider of the coop & run though....will the chickens be pecking at whatever we put there??? The other 3 walls, they have no access to. And what's weird is that inside wall (that is inside the run, and has roof overhead) is probably the biggest offender of this leaking issue!!
We are also going to extend the tin roof over to the side so it hangs off a bit. We were building this based on another coop I found here, which is why the roof is shaped the way it is and doesn't have overhang on the side. Theirs is a raised wood floor though, so I guess this isn't an issue for them.

*Sigh* This has cost so much already.

I know your coop is almost complete, but I think the subfloor idea would work for the inside, but would it be possible to raise the coop on concrete blocks a little? you'd have to block in the area under it so the girls either didn't go under, or couldn't escape, but it would get both the coop and the girls away from any puddling...

Blackjack is commonly used on coop floors and so no I don't think the chickens will peck at it...it might waterseal the floor too...either that or raise the coop and put down subfloor is all I can think...maybe a thick onepiece vinyl floor?

And plenty of folks (wish they were here) have built on a concrete pad like you did...it isn't wrong!

I'm building mine on a concrete pad that was on my property when we bought the place. It was roofed and fenced though, as a dog run... So we're in the process of building an elevated coop inside the roofed area, and will have the run extend outside of the roofed area...

So just a quick update. Yesterday chicken dad jacked up the coop, and built a sub floor. No more concrete floor for the girls, and hopefully the new elevated coop will stay dry.

IMG_8019.JPG
IMG_8018.JPG

Back
Top Bottom