a whileFeedin Chicks

SueD

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 20, 2007
Pittstown,NJ
Hi Everyone, It's been quite a while since I've been on the board but, I'm back! lol
We just had Silki babies yesterday and I forgot how to feed them
sad.png
It's only the second time I've ever had new babies born here. It's cold outside but, the two moms seem to be doing a good job keeping them warm. Two questions tho...Fisrt, when should I start feeding the babies and giving water? Second...How many days should I give the hens to hatch the rest of the eggs that are still under them with the new chicks? Oh yea, one more question, should I use hay or wood chips under the hens with the babies? Thank you all for any help you can give me.
Sue

I vote for wood chips.

Let the mom hens sit for 3 -4 more days on those eggs, if they are willing.

I would have water and food available from pretty much Day 1 - mom will bring the babies out and introduce them, show them how to eat etc... she'll probably WON'T do that on day 1 - but it would be nice to have all that ready.
Don't use medicated or layer feed, cause mom and babies will be eating the same thing - go for a general poultry feed feed.

Thank you Wild! I took your advise and all has worked out wonderful. We had 6 babies but, I had to bring them in the house for their first week. NJ decided to drop back into winter weather on me and I was afraid they would get to cold. I put them all back out in the henhouse yesterday though. When do you let your babies and moms go outside without worrying to much about the cooler temps? I'd love to let them out in the sun a little bit but it's still only inthe 60s - low 70's here right now. Thanks again for your help!
Sue

Back
Top Bottom