A wind-tested roof for the Chicken McMansion (Part 2)

Quote:
The only reason I did not go with metal roofing was because I thought the foamed plastic would be quieter in the rain here in the Pacifist Northwest. I am specifically trying to give the neighbors as little to be upset with as possible.

No sweat Pat, and no insult taken. I went out and thumped and inspected my work again, and I still insist that the structure is very sound considering where the construction is now. Understand that this thread is a month old and there has been considerable change and improvement on this since then. If this was a roof standing alone, I would share your concerns. If I lived in the Gulf Coast and was subject to hurricanes, or lived in tornado alley, my design would be much different. As it is, it is designed for the prevailing East winds we get here our of the Columbia River Gorge.

On Edit: Additionally, the foamed polycarbonate material that I roofed this with has a much lower strength than those 3/8 x 8" lag screws do, and in any wind strong enough to do damage, I would expect the roofing to fail long before any of those bolts pull loose.

wink.png

Last edited:
Mike & Baby Chicken :

Where did you purchase those panels for the roof?? We are just a little north of you, and have been looking in the Portland/Vancouver area with little luck...

Home Depot carries them and all of the installation parts as well.

wink.png

Corrugated metal roof is quite longer life that some other roofing materials. Anyway the roofing material there is good. The wood is nearly perfect to the metal roof

Back
Top Bottom