A wolf with a tracking collar...

In many places Dog Wolf Hybrids are illegal to own. Mainly because of the danger they pose since their predatory instinct is virtually impossible to breed out. I was a vet tech before children and once had a wolf/dog patient. We had to be very careful handling it because one wrong move in your stance or behavior and instant aggression. We had to be aware of every move we made, every glance we gave, etc. Only those of us very familiar with behavior and submission could handle it because even a look in the wrong direction could pose as a threat to the animal. Very risky!! It was definitely a patient we had a pre-conjured game plan for when an appointment was scheduled.

Quote:
So far this seems to be the most reasonable answer. After all, there's nothing you can do if your donkeys killed the wolf. Circle of life and all that.... That is, of course, if donkeys are a viable option for you.

Yes, thank you, well aware of the risks, you do know all dogs came from wolves, right? Now there are breeders crossing all sorts to find even more aggressive dogs, a super hybred wolf, if I may. I prefer something not so tampered with and alot depends on initial handling, and yes, the handlers themselves, I too have worked at a vet and I've seen dogs far more dangerous than you'd think..
I'd take a wolf/hybred anyday as a pup, two of them actually, but that's just me..Sometimes it takes a wolf to protect the flock

one of the states up your way has been pushing hard for a season on wolves the last coupla years to trap and hunt them hope y'all get one
smile.png

It is sad that the media likes to sensationalize things, if the child had been killed by an English Springer Spanial it would never had made the news. It has happened here and the trainer who had previously evaluated the dog as dangerous(the owners would not believe her) tried to get the media to report it to show that dogs that are not handled properly regardless of breed can become dangerous, but she couldn't get even one media outlet to report it, not tv, radio or newspaper.

I have worked with 3 wolf hybreds and one pure wolf, not a one of them were hard to work with and not a one of them tried to bite. Though I have had many spoiled or fearfull house pets of 'nonaggressive' breeds try to take a chunk out of me.

When any breed gets popular more of them are bred regardless of the health and temperament of the parents. When you breed junk temperament to junk temperament you get junk temperament. Then you have the people that want the cheap deal instead of paying the price of dogs whose parents were health tested, temperament tested and proven before they were bred.

I hope your LGD does the trick for you, they do amazing work. She will definitly let you know when your uninvited guest arrives.

Met a cocker spaniel yesterday, the owner says just come up and say hi and then she will quit barking. OK Now I am a dog person and know the behavior submission aggression stuff. Believed the owner wenrt to pet dog and almost got my hand bit. Hmph! Right. So I just turned sideways and let dog sniff my leg. Owner says the dog has necver done that before. RIGHT> Like I believe you? Dogs like me. Kinda off subject there.

ETA: On the wolf hybrid: Now wolves are shy animals. And wolf hybrids are shy animals. Any Dog that is shy, if you know dog psychology, is the most dangerouse type to expect a bite from. As they bite out of fear and are unpredictable. Yes I know the media likes to senstationalize stuff too.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, I'm a tenant farmer and need to have things look good.

The dairy farmer said it was solitary wolf. I hope it doesn't have a pack because if so then my girl is dead.

That explains a lot actually. It would be a rogue, a male that was sent packing so to speak from the pack. They are extremely dangerous because they cannot hunt in the pack's territory without risking being killed so they go after calves, chickens, rabbits, cats small dogs, whatever they can grab and run with to hide. The pack will hunt as a unit and would not waste their time a chicken or a calf that was in close proximity to humans. They are very private creatures....unlike their cousin the brazen coyote....most likely the wolves are watching you from a very close distance without ever being seen if it is a pack. They have avoid humans when at all possible.

These rogues happen when a young male decides he wants to be alpha and he makes a try for the position and gets his arse handed to him...same with a female though it is much rarer for a female to try. A rogue needs to be exterminated...they are a problem waiting to happen. Love your GP, she is gorgeous.

As far as hybrids go...they are naturally timid shy creatures...have owned them and loved them. They are much different than a dog and far less than wolf. There are good ones and bad ones. Most of that depends on the breed the wolf is mixed with and how it is raised.

Last edited:
Its illegal for farmers around here to kill the bears that destroy there corn crops. A bear can do 20,000 dollars worth of damage in a week. Guess thats why some bears around here have "accidents" and get buried with a backhoe. Guess it would need to be a very deep hole for the tracking collar though.

Quote:
I worked at a vet for 2 years & we muzzled more cocker spaniels than any other dog, they are super aggressive. Glad you kept your hand!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom