A wool hen - creating one today

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I am expecting chicks soon. I do not have electricity to the coop, and my dear and patient hubby is not a fan of chicks in the house. For years I have used broody hens, but coons put an end to that for now. So today I am taking some chicken wire, leftover wool yarn, a cooler and seeing what I can come up with.

At first I was a bit dubious of this idea, but really if people can ship day old chicks, and they do this all the time, and those chicks most often arrive alive, this should work. However, I am going to try it in my garage first, where I can check on them frequently the first couple of nights.

Love BYC - get such great ideas here.

Yesterday, spent the day cleaning up the coop, starting with new bedding, getting rid of a shed that I think enabled the predators. Things will be fresh for basically a start over flock.

Mrs K

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I will certainly be interested to hear how it goes. I recently read about the use of a wool hen on this site and found it interesting. You will have to let me know how it goes and how it works out for you. I'm jealous of you getting new chicks, do you want to share what kind you are getting?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cool!
    Wish you could post pics.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Wishing you the best with your little flock. Do you have option of MHP in the garage if the weather suddenly turns cold?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So sorry for your loses. Stupid coons. Or whatever.

I'm intrigued to see how this goes for you. If it works in your area, pretty much anyone should be able to do it.

6. MissSister

MissSister Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2016
    What kind of chicks are you getting? That may have a slight effect on the feasibility. Interested to hear how it works.

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I am getting a surprise from Sandhills Preservation. I have always liked a mixed flock best. Suppose to be a minimum of 6 breeds, straight run. I am getting 25 chicks, which is quite a few. In fact, I am considering needing two wool hens.

I don't have it built quite yet, need to get on with it.

I will probably keep them in the garage for a few days, there I can have electricity if needed. However, the days have been very warm, and the nights are still well above freezing.

Experimenting is always fun.

Mrs K

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You will do well with a batch of chicks that big. More body heat to share. Keep us posted! Living vicariously.

9. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    to subscribe.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you! When are your chicks coming?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by