A word of Advice

thnx every1... that was really helpful!!!! now i am going to get the thermometer for the brooder!!!!!

I am also waiting for babies to come in the mail, and this is my first time ordering from a hatchery.......so I feel your pain. Mine are supposed to arrive Monday from McMurray. As far as the brooder, I use pine shavings with rubber shelf liner over top for the first few days. I put my shavings in a week ago and turned the lamp on a little while everyday to help dry them out. The rubber liner is mostly to prevent them from getting splayed legs ( and of course to keep them from gorging themselves on shavings). The chicks still sample a little of the bedding but quickly learn its not as tasty as their crumbles. Good luck with your babies.....I'm sure you'll spend your wait pulling all of your hair out and they'll arrive safe and sound.

Sigh, I wish I was getting a box of chicks, so envious! But, not this year.

All my other babies, I just lined my big ole' brooder box with newspaper and then a good layer of pine shavings over that. Makes it easy to roll up to clean it out. They've always done fine. When I first put them in I just showed them the feeder, "peck" at the food with your finger to show them where to eat. Same with the water, dip their little beaks in. Then I just watch them that first day until I have seen each one eat and drink.

I hope you have plenty of time set aside for sitting by that box watching those new babies!
love.gif
My husband knows that when I have a box of new babies I can generally only be found in the garage next to them!

There are different grades or sizes of pine shavings. I was told by our local "chickenman" to buy the larger pine shavings to prevent the chicks from "sampling" the bedding too much.

db

Paper towels are a good idea for the first week or two. Once they are a bit older they will be less likely to eat the shavings. Aspen shavings are best, pine is ok, stay away from cedar; shreaded newspaper would work too. MY Pet Chicken is great very friendly people, if you lose a chick in the mail you will be reimburst by MPC if you call/email them and let them know within 24hrs.

Enjoy your babies!

Back
Top Bottom