A word of caution

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TwistedRee, Sep 21, 2009.

  1. TwistedRee

    TwistedRee In the Brooder

    Jul 10, 2009
    Neighbors who live about 2 miles down the road from me had an incubator set up in their bathroom and were trying to hatch chickens eggs. The heat light, for whatever reason these things happen, over heated? Sparked? Malfunctioned? and started a fire. The main house and the guest house on the property burned down to the ground. No one was hurt but the chicken eggs they were trying to hatch. So while I am sure everyone is very safety caustious(SP?) I just thought I'd mention it. It never hurts to be extra aware.

  2. GaNewChick

    GaNewChick Songster

    Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Sorry to hear about that ~ loosing everything. [​IMG] I'm glad everyone is ok.
  3. ranchhand

    ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

    Aug 25, 2008
    Brooder heat lamps can get very hot and will set fire to whatever they are touching. Thanks for the reminder, TwistedRee!
  4. tryingtohaveitall

    tryingtohaveitall Songster

    Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I am so sorry to hear this. :>( Poor family. We had a close call last spring but it was "only" with our coop. You really can't be too cautious with those. I hope they're being well taken care of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by