1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aaaak! Coop addition **PIX ADDED**

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Casey3043, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

If I had known then what I know now---I would have made it bigger! I am adding on to my main coop--it's going from 4 X 8 to 10 X 8. I have had four men here working all day, piles of lumber around, power saws going, hammering, etc. The chickens are all fenced into the garden for the day. They are highly confused, as they can't get to either coop at all. Their food and water and one nest box (a covered kitty litter pan) are in the garden, where they are gathered at the farthest point from the construction. Most had laid their eggs this morning before the activity started, but one pullet actually flew over the fence and went into the coop to lay while the guys were working just outside the door. She did lay, too, and I didn't know she was in there till she sang her egg song loud and clear! I tried to catch her but couldn't, and she finally flew back into the garden.

They are removing soffits, etc to add on to the roof line (I'll post pix before and after when they are done). I reminded them that they have to have everything sealed up by nightfall---no missing soffits where raccoons or something could get in!

Then they are going to build a roofed run outside my garage coop.

I HATE construction! I want to have it done, but I hate it while it is going on! Sort of like remodeling your house. Nice to have done, but no fun while it's going on. I can't explain to the chickens either why their house is torn up.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I hate construction too. But, just wait until its all done! [​IMG]

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    [​IMG] So when do you plan your next expansion?

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i would LOVE to have four men working at my house all day!

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    hahaha well atleast you will have a great setup for them when they are done, congrats, and i cant wait for pics

6. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oooooooo, can't wait to see you pics. We're going to be adding on as well because I want more chickens too! Plus whatever advice you can give will be so much appreciated!!

Thanks! Good luck!

[​IMG]

7. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    At first it was to be 4 hens just for eggs and a 4x8 coop. LOL now it is a dozen hens and a 12x8 coop. Hummmmm . Next Spring maybe another 4x8 coop and more run. Will it ever stop? Help I really do not have the money or the time to build more. It is fun though. Instead of 8x10 go ahead and make it 12x10 so you will have plenty of room for a dozen hens and a roo. It will not cost that much more at this time while you are building. LOL Gloria Jean

8. Casey3043

Oops! Too late to make it bigger. They got the floor joists and the floor in today and one wall. Good thing they haven't framed the other wall yet---I forgot to tell them I want a window!

I have 13 hens right now, and another coop that is about 6 x 8 (inside a detached garage). The six older hens are in the coop being enlarged, and the seven spring pullets are in the garage one. They all go out together into one big yard, but they do not mix. Each group goes back to its own coop at night. No roo yet, but one broody hen. She was not happy about being put off her nest all day today, but maybe it will help break her. If I want to raise babies, I want to use the garage coop for that, and put them all together in the big coop. Too bad they have other ideas!

Maybe I can get pix in the morning before they start working again. I took "before" pix yesterday.

9. Casey3043

Here are the promised pix. One day of construction shown. As you can see, it couldn't be any bigger without getting too close to the garden fence. But I think 8 x 10 will be big enough.

Before from the side

[​IMG]

Before from the end

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check it out, girls!

[​IMG]

Why do you have to keep messing with our coop?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  10. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That's very nice coop, and your chickens look fantastic. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by