AAAGH. If you want something done right...

trudyg

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 3, 2013
North Alabama
My chicks came today, but I had an emergency and couldn't be home to pick them up at the post office. So, DH said he'd go and get them. I walked him through the process--show them the food and water, tuck them under the mhp and hold them there a moment so they know it's the warm spot.

He calls, has them in the box in the house. He's got copd, so felt he shouldn't be out in the cold and they'd be fine in the shipping container in the house until I get home, probably around noon. Said they're cheeping very loud, so they're ok. I told him, no, they are cold and he should, at the very least, put a towel over the box to hold in the heat.

15 minutes later he calls, says he put them in the pen in the garage and they're happy--eating and drinking. I asked did you put them under the mhp? No, but they'll find it on their own.

Do you think they will? If they hop on top of it they'll sense that heat, anyway, but I'm wondering if they'll go under it. I also have a wool hen out there, so do you think they'd wander under either the mhp or the wool hen? I'm kicking myself for not calling DD to do it. She's ocd like me and I wouldn't worry then. Do you think they'll be okay? He also said that the 'packing peanut' one is smaller than the rest and they were picking on it, so I'm worried but can't leave here until someone else comes who can take over.

Ugh, How frustrating. I'm sorry I know that is just so upsetting. Animals always find a way to survive. I believe and hope that they will find their MHP and woolly hen. I only have a woolly hen and had to show them a few times to get in it. But with the MHP I think instinct will just take over and they will scoot under it quick enough.
How manydid you get?
Keep us updated please!

NO they will not find it on their own. New chicks New area they don't know what's what.
They need to be placed under it , sometimes more then once.

They found their way under just fine and are using both the mhp and the wool hen. Eating, drinking and pooping. All is well.

Back
Top Bottom