AAAH! We had our first hawk!

thank you! They are bantam buff brahmas from My Pet Chicken. Great hens, and laid eggs all winter long!

Just this weekend we built a longer run for them so they have plenty of room now without being vulnerable to hawks.

Hmm Maybe we are just lucky but we have don't have problems with the hawks. I watch them sit in the trees around the farm. We have several kinds from Goshawks, Redtails and small sparrow hawks. I have watched them often catch squirrels and doves, they just don't pay much attention my chickens. I've seen them catch doves 20 feet from the chickens as they were free ranging. They freaked out and ran under the trees but came back out as soon as the hawk flew off.

I'll take all the good luck I can find

I cover my run with herring netting. It has already stopped at least one hawk that the neighbor boys saw get stuck in it. T he eagles are a little smarter. They eyeball the netting and just cruise on by. My friend only lets his chickens roam in the afternoon as he feels hawks and eagles are more active and hungry in the morning. I usually only let them out when I am going to be outside.

Quote:
Possibly but you are not in the range for the Northern Goshawk.

I haven't had any problems with hawks going after full sized chickens but I have lost "teenagers".

Back
Top Bottom