Abandoned and Sick Young Cockerel. Please Read<3!

The poor baby! Sounds like he is very lucky that your mom found him. I hope everything works out for you and him. He is very cute. Good luck and keep us updated.

You don't have to get his eye removed. I think it's a spend of money you don't really have to spend. My hen has a prolapsed eye and she's fine.
My roo was born with a terribly disfigured eye, it's 2 years later and he still has it.

You are so nice for doing all this for him.

Last edited:
I have no suggestions or ideas about the eye. All I could think of was that I'd be very concerned about your existing flock. Respiratory disease spreads so very, very easily. If he has something it can and will travel on the air, on your clothing, your skin and hair, your shoes, etc. etc. Your biosecurity and quarantine are going to have be really tight so that you don't take anything to your coop with you. Even then, it can simply be airborne. We've had to deal with respiratory disease here and it's not fun, it just seems like once it's in your coop you never really get rid of it.
Yes!

Wonderful news! Time has passed since. My friend's father actually popped the puss from his eye like a pimple and i took him in to the vet for the secend time and he had surgery done on his eye. His sinuses were flushed and i got a stronger antibiotic. He's doing great too. His eye is alive and functioning, and he no longer smells on the face, it was just the eye. He has started to crow (rolls eyes) and dances for the girls from his cage on the othet side of the sliding glass door. I'll post a pic when I get my computer out, but I'm really glad he's improved so much. He's currently snoozing on my lap, haha.

Sorry the images are subpar, but it's from my ipod. My little guy has grown while I've had him aside from heal. I'm proud of him:)

My friend wants me to name him Denzel (after a character from a show she watches) but I haven't yet decided. His personality is coming out now (as he lifts his wing for me to pet under it xD ) so I'm not quite sure yet. I
tend to over think my pet names.

But I'm thinking Riley? He looks like a Riley some how... *shrugs* sleepy Riley...

Also i couldn't ignore a bird like this. My weak bird loving heart can't say no when I think there's a chance... On another note, It's strange, but he really looks a lot like my pet rooster I had years ago when I was 10. But i don't think he's going to be "Coca Cola II"

Last edited:
I understand you helping a stray rooster. I've had some like this so sick when I got them. They turned out to be the best pets. Your guy is lucky and I'm sure will be living the life of Riley with your care.

Back
Top Bottom