Abandoned at 19 days

Farmer Brian

Songster
9 Years
Nov 28, 2012
Have a jersey giant hen that's been broody and setting on six eggs till today, day 19. When I closed the coop, she was on the roost with the others. Eggs were cool. I know she was on the nest last night, and not sure how long she's been off of them. There are two extra eggs today so at least some of the time another hen was on them. All of my hens are JG, and not sure which of the (three out of four) was the broody, so I can't lock her down. I don't have an incubator. I'm pretty sure 5 of the six were expected to hatch on Tuesday. I do have a heating pad, but not sure how to use it for eggs. Don't want to cook them. Ideas?

I went back out to try and see if I could id the right hen. Was pretty sure it was a choice of two. First one wanted nothing to do with the nest, so I put the other on it. She didn't object, so I locked her in. Hopefully she settles down and doesn't crush any eggs. I'll let her out for ten or so tomorrow, then lock her in again. Does this sound feasible?

I went back out to try and see if I could id the right hen. Was pretty sure it was a choice of two. First one wanted nothing to do with the nest, so I put the other on it. She didn't object, so I locked her in. Hopefully she settles down and doesn't crush any eggs. I'll let her out for ten or so tomorrow, then lock her in again. Does this sound feasible?
How did this go? any updates?

Back
Top Bottom