Abandoned baby merganser.

PekinPal806

Chirping
Mar 27, 2020
I recently found a very young merganser chick that was wandering around in the woods all alone and was wondering what to do? I have a broody call hen that has two ducklings about the same age and I was wondering if she could raise the baby, I tried to introduce them and she accepted the chick but the baby is too scared of the hen and won’t go near it, so I’m not sure what to do now?

Mergansers have a special dietary preference that cannot be easily replicated at home. It is also unlawful to possess a protected wild bird without permit. I highly suggest bringing him to a local animal rehabilitator, or a wildlife sanctuary. If you search your state you should be able to find a large directory list.
Until then, keep it in a calm, quiet, warm environment with access to water; for a food source, mashed scrambled eggs will be ok.

It would be best to get him to a licensed animal rehabilitator.
Is he weak at all? And is he eating, drinking and pooping normally?
It seems perfectly fine besides peeping like crazy 😂 I’m not sure that we have any sort of rehab center nearby but I’ll try looking in case I can’t take care of it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom