Abandoned domestic ducks.

amandastiles

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2015
While walking in a city park today my boyfriend and I noticed a lone duck on the frozen pond. I immediately recognized it as a blue Swedish duck since we have one at home. We decided someone must have dumped her. She was just standing around on the ice with no other ducks anywhere to be seen because the wild ducks must have flown away for the winter. Luckily the ice was strong and she wasn't too shy so we were able to walk out and catch her. Another walker saw the capture. She was alarmed and asked what are you doing with that duck. She said she thought we wanted to eat it. It took a lot of explaining before she let us leave with the duck but apparently she lives near the pond and has been watching that duck since summer. She even showed us a picture of her swimming with her "husband", a sizable black duck with a bright orange bill and curly tail feathers. We had a difficult car ride as we only had t shirt to wrap her in but now she is in our backyard and gets along great with our girls; a Cayuga, Rouen and another blue Swedish.

I'm pretty angry at whoever dumped what was clearly a pet. Not only is she unable to fly and therefore properly forage for food in January, she was breeding with wild duck species and impacting the environment in this way. People need to learn to deal with their mistakes. If you can't take care of a pet anymore find it a suitable home or turn it over to the humane society.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Thank you so much for rescueing her. We have a park in our city and it's the same way. People dump their unwanted ducks there. It makes me so mad. They think just because there is a big lake there they are going to live a happy life. Wrong. They can't fly so they can't get away from predators. Their at the mercy of a few people who take them food each day. They are not throw away pets.

Thank you both!

Speaking of dumping ducks, it's not that long to the time of year when we need to start drafting our letters online or to local newspapers explaining just what pattyhen wrote above.

Thanks for the reminder.

I'm glad you rescued her. People get mad at me, too, when I take a duck from the lake, even if it's extremely beat up and bloody. We have a lot of dumped ducks where I live because people think they they will have a good life being fed junk food all day long. When there is one dumped duck, other people come along and think it's OK to dump their ducks, too.

That's the funniest part too. People were outraged thinking we were kidnapping a duck so on the walk back to the car I started telling people we passed she was our pet we were "walking". People reacted like that was a totally normal thing to do. Lol.

That's the funniest part too. People were outraged thinking we were kidnapping a duck so on the walk back to the car I started telling people we passed she was our pet we were "walking". People reacted like that was a totally normal thing to do. Lol.
How is she doing today? so awesome of you to bring her home where she is safe.

Back
Top Bottom