Abandoned egg hatched in my hand someone help.

Justyn890

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 30, 2013
I didn't see this forum so I posted under chick care. Can someone please check my post and respond. I have a baby chick and no clue what to do. I was counting on mom hatching them not me. Sorry I posted twice, but I'm concerned for the chick.

She took her chick and has been exploring a side portion of my yard with it. I haven't seen them nesting together yet. I was taking the egg out thinking it was bad since she refused to sit on it anymore no matter how much I tried to coax her to the nest. I didn't plan on it hatching within an hour of me picking it up. Should I see where she nests tonight and try to sneak it in? It's barely wobbling around and the other is really active.

I should maybe add that typically my chickens refuse to coop or sit in a box. They prefer to roost on the privacy fence and a gate.... She won't do this and leave the chick will she? It's hot today but I haven't seen her and the chick cuddled up anywhere yet. She made her nest without my knowledge in a corner of the fence by a box that I had bedding in. She kicked all the bedding out (as always). She even removes it from near her eggs and nests. She prefers the ground to a nest, I'm not sure why.

Hen and babies are doing great. Thanks so much for your advise. She took the baby back, but I was not able to just sneak it in. The rooster is posting guard and sounds the alarm. I swear he rarely leaves guard duty. Mom and Chicks look happy and active. I am having a hard time keeping mom out of the chick food is that a problem?

Hen and babies are doing great. Thanks so much for your advise. She took the baby back, but I was not able to just sneak it in. The rooster is posting guard and sounds the alarm. I swear he rarely leaves guard duty. Mom and Chicks look happy and active. I am having a hard time keeping mom out of the chick food is that a problem?
She's teaching them to eat, it perfectly normal and good for her!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom