Abandoned gosling - what do I feed it?

Chopped veggies floated in water maybe?

My ducklings are more interested in thawed out frozen green beans or peas or broccoli in a bowl of water than they are in chick starter.

They also like yogurt.

I don't have goslings, but I've raised three ducklings. They were a day old when we first got them.

They weren't interested in the chick starter until I made it soggy and put a bit on my finger and poked it at them. Once they all started eating it off my finger, (maybe it looked like a mama duck's bill?) I lead them with my finger to the food and they finally started eating it. They wouldn't eat the dry food for about a week, only wet.

They also loved bits of greens in their water every day, and chopped up tiny bits of bologna or hot dog, too, though that was only once a week or less.

Maybe these things would work for your gosling. Good luck! We're hoping to get goslings this year. We love our birds!

We started our goslings on 18% chick starter crumbles, and after 4 weeks, switched them to 15% grower crumbles.

I understand you wanting to get the little guy eating, and looking for something appealing to him to stimulate the appetite, but I would still make starter crumbles available to him, and try to transition him to a balanced diet as soon as you can.

Thanks all - I decided to try to reunite him with his mom and dad and it worked perfectly. But I'm leaving chopped vegs in the coop for them. These are domestic geese.

When i had baby geese they loved eating spring onions, but we gave them the starter feed too and other bits of veg.

Quote:
Really! Mine wouldn't touch onions of any kind. After two years of grazing my lawn the only 'weeds' left were wild onions or wild garlic. I tried to interest my geese in them but they would not touch them.

I found that mine liked a mixture of unsweetened apple sauce and unmedicated starter crumbles for the first few days. Water mixed with the starter would work as well to make a soupy mix. Just don't let it sit out too long to rot. I changed mine 3x a day.

Back
Top Bottom