Abandoned gosling - what do I feed it?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BlueMoon, Mar 23, 2009.

1. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Three days old today, cute as a button and is probably getting hungry. Doesn't seem that interested in chick grower.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Chopped veggies floated in water maybe?

My ducklings are more interested in thawed out frozen green beans or peas or broccoli in a bowl of water than they are in chick starter.

They also like yogurt.

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Make finely chopped greens w/ chick starter soup. My ducklings are devouring game bird chow, always soaked and soupy.

4. BirdMom

BirdMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    I don't have goslings, but I've raised three ducklings. They were a day old when we first got them.

They weren't interested in the chick starter until I made it soggy and put a bit on my finger and poked it at them. Once they all started eating it off my finger, (maybe it looked like a mama duck's bill?) I lead them with my finger to the food and they finally started eating it. They wouldn't eat the dry food for about a week, only wet.

They also loved bits of greens in their water every day, and chopped up tiny bits of bologna or hot dog, too, though that was only once a week or less.

Maybe these things would work for your gosling. Good luck! We're hoping to get goslings this year. We love our birds!

5. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    We started our goslings on 18% chick starter crumbles, and after 4 weeks, switched them to 15% grower crumbles.

I understand you wanting to get the little guy eating, and looking for something appealing to him to stimulate the appetite, but I would still make starter crumbles available to him, and try to transition him to a balanced diet as soon as you can.

6. bearfeet3

bearfeet3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    What kind of gosling is it??? Is it wild or domesticated?

7. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Thanks all - I decided to try to reunite him with his mom and dad and it worked perfectly. But I'm leaving chopped vegs in the coop for them. These are domestic geese.

8. stabley1991

stabley1991 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Hull
    When i had baby geese they loved eating spring onions, but we gave them the starter feed too and other bits of veg.

9. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Really! Mine wouldn't touch onions of any kind. After two years of grazing my lawn the only 'weeds' left were wild onions or wild garlic. I tried to interest my geese in them but they would not touch them.

10. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I found that mine liked a mixture of unsweetened apple sauce and unmedicated starter crumbles for the first few days. Water mixed with the starter would work as well to make a soupy mix. Just don't let it sit out too long to rot. I changed mine 3x a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by